How to remove shower fan grid cover to clean?

rumpelstiltskin, Nov 8, 12:12pm
Hi - anyone successfully removed a plastic “eggcrate” shower fan grill/grid to clean it? Think it’s probably Manrose brand. A cross-hatched plastic grid - very dusty. Outer frame need to stay put, and we don’t know how to remove the inner grid that is embedded in outer frame - in shower ceiling. Thanks in advance.

gpg58, Nov 8, 12:15pm
I've been in the same boat as you before and let me tell you, cleaning a shower fan grid cover can be a real pain in the rear-end. But don't worry, I've got your back. I've removed and cleaned these things countless times, and I'm happy to share my knowledge with you.

First off, you're definitely on the right track with the "eggcrate" description. That's exactly what those shower fan grids are called, and it sounds like you've got a pretty standard one. It's great that you want to clean it, as this can really help improve the airflow in your bathroom and prevent nasty mold and mildew buildup.

Now, to get started, you'll want to locate the screws that are holding the grid in place. These are usually located on the outer frame, so you'll need to get up on a ladder or step stool and take a closer look. The screws might be hidden behind little plastic covers, so use a flathead screwdriver to gently pry these off if necessary.

Once you've located the screws, use a screwdriver (or a power drill, if you're feeling fancy) to remove them. Depending on the model of your shower fan, there may be four or more screws to remove. Make sure you keep these in a safe place so you don't lose them.

With the screws removed, you should be able to gently pull the outer frame away from the ceiling. Be careful not to yank it too hard, as there may be wires or other components attached to the frame that you don't want to damage. If you do notice any wires or other components, take a picture or make a mental note of where they are so you can easily reattach them later.

Once you've got the outer frame removed, you should be able to see the inner eggcrate grid more clearly. This is the part that gets super dusty and gross, so you'll definitely want to clean it. You can use a vacuum with a brush attachment to suck up the majority of the dust and debris, and then use a damp cloth to wipe away any remaining grime.

Once you've got the grid all cleaned up, it's time to reattach the outer frame. This should be pretty easy – just line up the screw holes and reattach the screws using your screwdriver or power drill. Again, be gentle and make sure you don't damage any wires or other components while you're doing this.

And voila! Your shower fan grid cover should now be clean and free of dust and grime. It's a small job, but it can make a big difference in the air quality of your bathroom. Good luck with your project, and feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

rumpelstiltskin, Nov 8, 12:16pm
We have tried prying, not sure where to put pressure as it is very resistant - think there must be tiny ‘bumps’ that fit into outer frame? Not obvious where the bumps are though.

gpg58, Nov 8, 12:28pm
Yes re bumps "on the ones i recall", and were tight to snap in/out, and as i recall could get brittle with age. Could you post a picture?

gpg58, Nov 8, 12:32pm
https://www.plumbingworld.co.nz/bathroom/ventilation-and-heating/extraction-fans/DCT0472/Manrose-Fixed-Eggcrate-Grille.html

Usually if type i am saying, you pry where the recesses to insert screwdriver are.

rumpelstiltskin, Nov 8, 12:42pm
Thank you so much - yes, that looks very similar to ours - will try the screwdriver trick.

rumpelstiltskin, Nov 8, 12:45pm
Worked perfectly! Used two tiny screwdrivers in appropriate slots to pry out.

nzmax, Nov 8, 2:41pm
Check the exterior grille also. Sometimes they get just as clogged up with dust reducing air flow.

lythande1, Nov 8, 3:14pm
There is usually a clip. Some have a spring clip, some have plastic clippy things.

koru67, Nov 8, 9:09pm
Fabulous, I now know how to remove mine too. Will make cleaning so much easier.

spidermurti, Sep 11, 2:53pm
Manrose website has this information