Kitchen ceiling pre paint clean .best product?

Page 1 / 2
mtbotrev, Aug 11, 8:31pm
Hi. attempted to clean kitchen ceiling ahead of painting as part of new kitchen and elbow grease but it didn't really work as when I went to paint after it had dried the ceiling white just went bubbly . clearly I hadn't cleaned it well enough. Had too much grease etc. we havent cleaned it in 6 years and I doubt if it was done for at least 10-12 when old kitchen was installed. Wiped it all off and am ready to start again. what product should I use floor and how best to apply it eg a sponge mop on pole?

Thanx.

skull, Aug 11, 8:33pm
I think sugar soap is a pretty good pre paint cleaner for most circumstances.

wine-o-clock, Aug 11, 8:41pm
sand it before painting

mtbotrev, Aug 11, 8:51pm
Thanx. warm or cold water?

hulloitsme, Aug 11, 8:53pm
I've found Palmolive dish-washing detergent in a bucket of hot water and applied with a sponge-mop excellent. You need to rinse it off though, using a bucket of clean hot water only. Sounds like you may have washed yours, but not rinsed it afterwards?

mtbotrev, Aug 11, 8:55pm
Hmmm. its a smooth finish currently not usual ceiling gib like in lounge that I have just done so must have been plastered in past. Do u suggest that so paint has surface to adhere to even after cleaning properly?. I used same roller type as in lounge but it left lots of bubble etc as smooth surface

mtbotrev, Aug 11, 8:58pm
Thanx. I used cold water and thought I did wipe down it down. might not have broken it up enough using cold water? Will buy sponge mop especially as shoulder aint the best for doing it on small step ladder.

sooby, Aug 11, 9:09pm
I used to swear by sugarsoap to remove flydirt, now recommend steam mop! Way less work and no caustic solution dripping into eyes

mazalinas, Aug 11, 9:11pm
"For wall coatings or ceiling coatings that are flat finishes do not use rough abrasives or solvent cleaners, stiff scrubbing brushes or harsh caustic preparations. Instead, use warm water with a small amount of mild detergent.
Apply the solution to the affected area with a soft cloth, where the marking is particularly stubborn.
Having thoroughly cleaned the affected area, you should then proceed to wash down the whole wall or ceiling to eliminate any chance of patchiness.
Finally, rinse off the washed area with clean water and allow to dry. Avoid vigorous scrubbing with chemicals or brushes and scourers to prevent burnishing the surfaces and causing shiny patches."
https://www.dulux.co.nz/how-to/general/how-to-care-for-dulux-paint

mtbotrev, Aug 11, 9:25pm
Thanx mazalinas. didn't think to look there.

johotech, Aug 11, 10:12pm
That's one option. I use a steam wallpaper stripper. Even after ceilings were already cleaned with sugar soap, the steam still got more grime off them.

richynuts, Aug 11, 10:20pm
Zinsser coverstain would be the best option even after cleaning. I would use a waterbase enamel for topcoat so it will clean easily next time. My bathroom ceilings are done in semi gloss lustacryl. and look great . kitchen and living ceilings are done in spacecote . if there was a break between kitchen and living room ceilings I would of done kitchen ceiling in lustacryl also.

lythande1, Aug 12, 8:23am
Sugar soap. That's what the painters use, it's what resene suggest, dulux etc etc.
They say, depending on what paint you are going to use -don't use anything else.

kateley, Aug 12, 8:51am
I don't think you could get rid of kitchen grease using cold water no matter what product you add.

easygoer, Aug 12, 9:45am
Sugar soap in hot water with a lot of elbow grease, it works every time.

harm_less, Aug 12, 10:19am
Definitely sugar soap in warm to hot water. Wipe it on initially and then allow a few minutes for the product to do its work before wiping again with extra rubbing for problem areas. No rinsing required as you can paint onto it once it's dry.

One of my previous businesses was cleaning venetian blinds and sugar soap was my go to for kitchen ones. The greasy residue from cooking oils is stubborn and if you don't allow the sugar soap to do its work you end up with bent slats from rubbing them.

wine-o-clock, Aug 12, 11:31am
yes sand

ang_ck, Aug 12, 1:49pm
Wow, this is the first time i heard it. Do you do the stripper after cleaning with sugar soap?

ang_ck, Aug 12, 1:50pm
Sanding? that is hard work on ceiling and I can imagine the dust flying everywhere.

wine-o-clock, Aug 12, 2:23pm
gotta be done so the paint sticks properly

mtbotrev, Aug 12, 8:14pm
Thanx all for advice. intuitively I would have thought warm to hot but I couldnt see anything on instructions about temperature.

gabbysnana, Aug 12, 8:40pm
you used the wrong roller sleeve, you need smooth finish that leaves no bubbles.

macandrosie, Aug 13, 1:32pm
There is a paint by Dulux called pigmented sealer. Its oil based and stinks to high heavens when wet but dries odorless. It covers any marks or stains on ceilings. And especially good if you discover someone has used different paint on ceilings (like gone oil based then back to water based & its peeling!) One coat of this and you can put any paint on top. Was recommended to be by a professional painter.

harm_less, Aug 13, 1:54pm
Resene also do pigmented sealers including one that is acrylic and doesn't have the toxic fumes of oil based ones. Recommended for non-wet areas but 'sticks like sh*t to a blanket' none the less.

lilyfield, Aug 13, 3:01pm
Zinsser undercoat and sugarsoap cleaning first .that will fix any stains coming through.