How many people clean their own chimneys ?

Page 1 / 3
.jillybeen., Mar 14, 5:42pm
I have heard,if you have a fire, insurance companies don't pay outif you have cleanedit yourself.Is this true !.

redhead96, Mar 14, 10:19pm
I would rather pay someone to clean it as most of them can also check your fire to make sure it is up to standard.

lythande1, Mar 14, 11:06pm
Rubbish. Of course you can.

greyway21, Mar 14, 11:08pm
Have cleaned my own for years. Now have a flue brush kit from M10 rather than the manuka branch I used to use.
Biggest danger is falling off the roof!
Not heard that about the insurance issue

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 14, 11:14pm
For it to become an insurance issue, you have to have a claim based on that chimney. I'd be guessing non maintenance was more of an issue than owner maintenance.

lilyfield, Mar 14, 11:23pm
owners nearly ALWAYS do a better job

bryshaw, Mar 14, 11:39pm
Took me 3 minutes to clean chimney flue yesterday. Actually took me longer to replace the door seal around the glass on the woodburner.

sooby, Mar 15, 12:02am
clean my own with home made brush - some chicken wire wrapped around & nailed to the end of a loooong piece of timber.

Clean it before every winter & halfway thru if its needed.

rsr72, Mar 15, 12:39am
Exactly.

matt848, Mar 15, 1:04am
It's part of most T&C's with F&G insurance policies that you have to have your chimney swept professionally once every 2 years.

auburn4, Mar 15, 1:06am
If you have a fireplace/chimney fire with resulting damage and the chimney cleaning & maintenance has not been done by a commercial operator then your house insurance cover may well be voided. That is what I have heard from various sources over the years. Find a good chimney sweep and never let him go.

harrislucinda, Mar 15, 1:14am
yesheardthattooifcleaning yourselfandthereis afireinsurrancemightnotcoverThisistheruleforoverseasaswell

rsr72, Mar 15, 1:18am
Absolute Rubbish.
If it's cleaned, it's clean.
Do insurance companies tell you when to paint your house!

taipan4, Mar 15, 1:22am
+++1
done my own chimneyt for the last 20 yrs we haved lived here & check condition of flue while I'm at it

rsr72, Mar 15, 1:44am
We're being gradually turned into a nation of helpless woosses.
-resist it!

martin11, Mar 15, 1:51am
Yes I have heard also that it is meant to be cleaned and checked by a chimney cleaning firm and you need a proper receipt for insurance . most log fire have a life of only 15 years

bestgames, Mar 15, 2:15am
Just called Tower and they en courage people to clean their chimneys but insure people even if they never clean them.

So best check with the insurance company.

hutchk, Mar 15, 2:16am
Jaysus, mine must be on death's door then!

bestgames, Mar 15, 2:58am
Having been through a few houses recently the one in our place is at least 15-20 years and still a baby compared to many still in use!

pauldw, Mar 15, 3:00am
Get a picture taken of you on the roof with brush, evidence for your insurance co and the ACC file if/when you fall off :D

rsr72, Mar 15, 3:04am
About to have my high chimney cleaned for the first time in 25 years, an anniversary present for it.

bestgames, Mar 15, 3:04am
What would be the best brush to get for cleaning an old (1940/50s) concrete chimney with a flush mounted closed fire place!

We're moving in soon and lining up all the jobs that need doing.

harrislucinda, Mar 15, 3:42am
thats not thepointifafiretheywantproofitwascleanedby aregcleanereventhoughwecleanourownhubby wont listen

rsr72, Mar 15, 3:44am
No they don't. It isn't a WOF.

captaingraham, Mar 15, 3:57am
Easy way to clean your chimney is get up on the roof and drop a live fowl down the chimney. If you want a really good job done, light the fire first.