How to clean the glass shower door?

Page 1 / 2
f***********s, Jun 23, 6:31pm
Any bright ideas? Tried jif but doesn't get rid of the film on it

digmen1, Jun 23, 6:47pm
They are so hard to clean.
I had one in the flat I was in.

Now I have bought an older house with a stainless steel bottom and formica walls.

It hardly ever needs cleaning.

My g/f wants me to buy a nice new glass shower.
They look nice.
But is it worth the hassle ?

lilyfield, Jun 23, 7:52pm
Cut and polish car polish and electric sander with a soft pad fitted. Do it once. Takes some effort. After: always always always dry your glass after each shower,no shortcuts! !

jonners2013, Jun 23, 8:01pm
if you clean them regularly and properly from the beginning, then they are fine. the problem arises when they aren't cleaned for ages and the minerals build up.

pauldw, Jun 23, 8:07pm
It's still there just not as obvious.

dcm30, Jun 23, 8:16pm
My sister uses a spray bottle with 1/2 water and 1/2 white vinegar, she gets a good result

budgel, Jun 23, 9:07pm
I stayed at a friends place for a couple of nights and noticed that they left a squeegee in the fancy curved glass shower. It was no effort at all to run that over the surfaces before stepping out. I also noticed that they didnt use soap, only bodywash. Nowhere as much residue.

pauldw, Jun 23, 10:13pm
Soap scum is trivial compared with mineral deposits.

harrislucinda, Jun 23, 11:39pm
I use a cream with bleach buy from the warehouse then can just use old shampoo works with me

ingies, Jun 24, 12:32am
Make sure you only use liquid soap on the shower for washing yourself, and dry the glass door after each use.

digmen1, Jun 24, 7:50am
It does seem to be a lot of effort just to have a shower.

Use this sort of soap only, dry the shower each time.

When I have a shower, I want to get out and get to bed as soon as.

easygoer, Jun 24, 8:01am
x1
It takes 30 seconds to run a squeegee over the glass and walls to remove the water, I have one hanging in the shower for this reason

lissie, Jun 24, 9:52am
You know I hate my 1980's bathroom - I hate the lack of heat and the lack of a heated towel rail and a power point. But the old stainless steel shower is wonderful - I've cleaned it about once in the 6 months we've been here! Although we are redoing the bathroom I'm seriously considering retaining the shower curtain rather than going back to glass.

And yeah life is too short to clean and dry a shower every time you use it!

macandrosie, Jun 24, 10:12am
Wet & Forget are advertising something called ' tigers paw"? But I think it takes a bit of scrubbing.It's not cheap though - they're on special for $89.95. Go to the website if you want to learn more. I've read the thread about the Karcher window cleaner & people seem really happy with the product. People use them to get rid of condensation on their windows. I wonder how they'd work on a shower door? You certainly wouldn't want to be doing it every time after a shower though!

trade4us2, Jun 24, 10:46am
Use Engine Degreaser for about $3 for a spray can.

f***********s, Jun 24, 7:05pm
Cool guys am going to tackle it today! Il post back later what worked. and yes good old shower curtain would be much easier!

jano8, Jun 25, 2:27am
i plan on removing glass door I have on side of my bath & putting up a curtain track & going back to the good old shower curtain. love a shower curtain - also much better privacy.

jonners2013, Jun 25, 4:24am
ewww shower curtains are gross.

barbiedoll, Jun 25, 4:43am
Love my glass shower door! Recently had someone looking after my house and there was a long mark left on shower door. Bought that 30 second spot remover from Mitre 10 and it came off with little effort. I left on about five minutes before washing off.

macandrosie, Jun 25, 6:42am
Yes I see 30 Seconds advertising a shower door cleaner on tv this evening.

cagivachick1, Jun 25, 6:51am
if possible you should seal shower glass doors etc with vitroglaze or a similar product

lovelurking, Jun 25, 7:02am
Shower curtains are great, easy to keep clean and as others have said, better privacy.

I do like to write and draw pictures in the steam on the glass doors though.

f***********s, Jun 25, 7:48am
Righty guys here it is,,, https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/392762275.jpg
The underneath is where i did it, wait for it. steelo pad . scrub scrub scrub and walk away!

pc_uncorrect, Jun 25, 8:45am
Steelo pad although effective, has 1 major draw-back, it's far too abrasive & now your glass will have deep scour-marks/lines, in-which dirt & grime can build up in the scour-marks/lines. If you continue to use steelo pads?, you may experience cleaning the glass more & more difficult as the scour-marks/lines get deeper & deeper.

f***********s, Jun 25, 9:09am
It was a very light scrub, i wouldn't be doing it again any time soon, just wanted to get the build up off! As products were not working. It was already difficult lol