How to clean the glass shower door?

Page 2 / 2
casper161, Jun 25, 9:17am
sealed with vitroglaze, dry with towel after shower, still looks new. just a light clean with cloth when cleaning. And no soap, body wash only.

rojill, Jun 26, 11:14am
Every 12 months or so rub over the glass with "rubbing/cutting compound". - - buy from The Warehouse or Repco.
Very simple to use, - - - put paste on rag, wipe glass until the glass feels smooth (usually a couple of seconds) and rinse off with water.
If the glass has a heavy build up you can hear and feel the cutting compound working as it removes the dirt. When, after a few seconds you hear nothing then you know it's clean and you are now polishing the glass. Works a treat every time, and as you are actually polishing the glass it takes longer for residues to build up on the surface.

f***********s, Jun 26, 7:07pm
Thank you will have a look into that

speights40, Jun 26, 7:30pm
I would never use steelo. If desperate measures are needed a silver lady would be a better choice. I use my Karcher window vac to get rid of excess water & then a quick buff up with a towel & the glass stays crystal clear with nothing else needed.

ceebee2, Jun 26, 10:45pm
Poster #3 has it to a tee. Everything else is a complete waste of time and money for MINERAL deposits.
I used a sponge polishing pad to fit my grunty cordless drill and used a cutting compound from Repco called S2 or similar and apply liberally to a damp sponge, use the slower speed and above all else keep the sponge MOIST at all times. Do this 2 -3 times and guaranteed to cut MOST of it off.

As a weekly backup I use Jiff with Bicarbonate and a thick scotch brite to keep it in check. (Works really well on scum etc)

There is a "Tigers paw" that apparently works available from Wet n Forget for $90.00

Enjoy!

digmen1, Jun 27, 1:32am
Why is everything from Wet And Forget so dear ?

Why don't they sell small bottles so people can try their product

woody89, Jun 27, 1:46am
Have just had an idea & a quick test looks good!
The fine ash from the fireplace does a great job on the glass fire door. I have just dipped a damp cloth into it & tried rubbing it over a test patch of shower glass & water spotted chrome. Hosed it off & dried with a towel- looks awesome! Will do the whole thing when I have time & inclination.

mack77, Jun 27, 7:23am
I use "heavy duty car and truck wash" from the Warehouse or where ever to clean off a heavy build up of soap scum and whatever. This is 100% non abrasive and does a good job. I use it straight from the container; I don't dilute it. My water supply is straight from my roof (via a water tank) so it probably doesn't have any minerals in it, like that of a town water supply.
I find it hard to accept that "car rubbing/cutting compound" is non abrasive.

wine-o-clock, Jun 27, 9:44am

jia5, Jun 27, 10:50am
I use 30 second spray and walk away shower spray from Mire10. Once a week I spray the (wet) shower in the evening and the next morning rinse it off and dry with a squeegee. Looks great.

mack77, Jun 28, 10:14am
Yes I have used the second one (Armor) although I think that you will find that they will both do the same job.

oh_hunnihunni, Jun 29, 1:26am
Only if they aren't laundered regularly.

brightlights60, Jun 29, 2:37am
I agree. Its nice when you just have to wash the shower curtain weekly and its all fresh smelling. I don't see how someone could call it gross unless its like one in a crowded camping ground shower block remaining unchanged/washed for weeks at a time!

rojill, Jun 29, 10:15am
Cutting compound is LESS abrasive than toothpaste. Only retail product less abrasive than cutting compound is Brasso. All three clean and polish smooth surfaces - which is what they are designed to do.

jonners2013, Jul 2, 3:11am
they stick to you when your body touches them, the get disgusting far too quickly, they look old fashioned and cheap. personal preference though, you're free to have whatever you want.

I've had glass shower doors for at least the last 20 years that i can remember and i clean them no more frequently that i would clean the rest of the bathroom. never had a single problem.

isiqualo, Dec 1, 2:03am
I use this:
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/394797521.jpg method: pour 1 cap full cloudy ammonia ($3/1litr at new world) into spray bottle,( I use empty Ajax spray bottle) add 2 tea spoons of dish-washing liquid, and top up with warm water.
close and shake to dissolve.
Spray onto glass area requiring clean including tiled areas and leave for 30 minutes to 1 hour if really bad. Then using green coloured type scouring pad rub the areas in circular motions . Rinse off and leave to dry. Apply as many times as needed. I use mine once a week on the shower , bath, basins etc to maintain clean look.
You can use the same mixture in a 3 litre bucket and clean your windows around your house using sheepskin applicator and rubber blade combo or similar.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/394801811.jpg

For mould on tile grouting, spray diluted bleach onto mouldy areas to kill the mould. wait for mould to turn yellow almost white in colour before applying ammonia mixture to finish the job. You might require a face mask for the ammonia or bleach smell if your work area is not well ventilated.