Showerdome or extractor fan for bathroom?

Page 1 / 2
dollydot, Mar 27, 4:52am
We were thinking of getting a decent bathroom extractor fan and a heater installed in our two bathrooms but have been told that showerdomes might be more effective.We'd still be putting a heater in also as the wiring is already there to do that. Have heard that even with extractor fans some bathrooms still have wet walls. My original thoughts were to get the steam out with the extractor fan but seems this is not always effective. The fans we are looking at don't need to be on a timer as they are quite powerful apparently.Which way to go! Any ideas!

haventrader, Mar 27, 4:59am
We installed a good extractor fan shortly after moving into our home. The bathroom walls were like a shower with steam everywhere after a shower. The extractor fan made all the difference. Even the mirror does not fog up anymore. I have no experience with Showerdome. They may be effective, but I'm a believer in through - ventilation, which an extractor fan will provide. If going for an extractor fan, don't be fooled by some of the gimmicks on the market- get the best you can afford. Good luck.

aloha3, Mar 27, 5:13am
x1
We have a showerdome and find it brilliant. Used property it keeps the bathroom dry and you do not use so much hot water. Serach on the left, quite a few threads on showerdomes.

stevo2, Mar 27, 5:22am
We have an extractor fan but still got steam, installed a showerdome and the extractor never gets turned on now.

soph001, Mar 27, 5:27am
SHOWERDOME.

SHOWERDOME.

SHOWERDOME.

So many reasons why.

trade4us2, Mar 27, 5:52am
I don't understand the purpose of a showerdome. Just run the shower enclosure right up the the roof instead.

mothergoose_nz, Mar 27, 6:01am
i found an extractor fan pulled all the warm air out of the bathroom. showerdomes are warmer

duffpot, Mar 27, 8:27am
Showerdome

salb21, Mar 27, 11:30pm
It keeps the steam and moisture in. If no dome the moisture rises and can start causing damage (mold etc)

gilligee, Mar 28, 3:13am
Lots of old threads on showerdomes on here and in General.
Basically if you have a showerdome you do not need an extractor fan and they are cheap.

trade4us2, Mar 28, 3:45am
I have a clear plastic roof over the shower. So no damage is possible.

dollydot, Mar 28, 3:56am
Does mould build up on the showerdome! Do you clean them regularly as you clean your shower! I'm wondering if it's just another place to trap the steam, once you are finished and close your shower door the heat and steam is left there to dissipate! They do sound good but I'm thinking I want to get the steam out of the bathroom full stop so still looking at a grunty fan but have not ruled out showerdomes.Will definitely consider a showerdome for our rental property next time we are in there making improvements.

franken1, Mar 28, 4:12am
Showerdomes virtually eliminate steam. Read up on them. A fan still means steam occurs and is condensating on walls etc. I have a fan, but don't use it now.

lindylambchops1, Mar 28, 9:18am
Showerdomes!We installed one over each shower.Brand new house with extractor, heater & lights.They keep the bathroom completely steam free.Lovely & cosy in shower!Best thing we have ever done.go fo it!

glynn1, Mar 28, 9:23am
what happens to the steam when the shower door is opened!

franken1, Mar 28, 1:38pm
What steam! Steam is created when hot water mixes with colder air. The showerdome encloses the shower cubicle and warms the air inside so steam isn't created as it is with a standard shower. By the time you open the door to get out of the shower, there is no steam floating around.

dreamers, Mar 28, 6:56pm
The only thing I don't like about the showerdome is the moisture on the glass it leaves behind , which needs a good wipe down.

franken1, Mar 28, 7:00pm
Use a squeegee. Takes me 10 seconds after a shower.
I've never had a dry shower before. What's it like!

rednicnz, Mar 31, 12:47am
If you have a bath in the bathroom, I'd go for both.

We have both.The showerdome means that we don't need the extractor fan on when having a shower.However, when DH drains the hot water tank by having a bath the walls get very wet with condensation from the steam unless he puts the fan on.

A fan with a heat lamp built in is great for keeping warm in the winter too!Don't do one with a light in too - when you read the small print on the box, it says the lights aren't to provide light.Not sure what they're there for then.

peacebird15, Mar 31, 7:43am
We had extractor fans, pro installed, good ones.

Then got shower domes. They worked much better than the fans

mansonprincess, Mar 31, 9:22am
dome all the way

mansonprincess, Mar 31, 9:23am
after you shower, open the door up a crack, it will stop this problem

gilligee, Mar 31, 9:06pm
Last one out wipes it down.

georgiam, Apr 1, 3:56am
How many do you fit in your shower at once !

aloha3, May 5, 6:08pm
On the Showerdome instructions it says, shut the door after you get out of the shower, then open it after about 10 minutes to allow natural drying