Rangehood/Extractor fan Question

countryart, Nov 24, 1:28am
I have just removed an old extractor fan over our cooker and begun installing a new one. I have removed the pipe from the hole in the ceiling (Single storey house) and it seems that there is no duct through an outside wall or through the roof. So for 15 years or so the extractor has been pumping everything from the stove into the roof void. Surely this is neither safe nor clean or efficient! Can anybody please tell me what the position should be with the pipe from the rangehood extractor fan! Thank you, Roger

chris.kingston, Nov 24, 1:59am
It should be vented to the outside. Venting into the roof space is a fire risk.

linmc, Nov 24, 2:32am

trade4us2, Nov 24, 9:29am
Can you get into the ceiling space to remove all the fat that will be up there!

t_naki, Nov 24, 7:56pm
It needs to be vented outside, a piece of ali duct over into the sofit and a outlet grill is all that is needed. Be careful when selecting a fan to replace the existing one, you will most likely need to go to an electrical wholesaler and look through a few books. Most of the fans that look like that one now days will not be designed to handle the grease or heat that goes with using it as a range hood, they are mostly just extractor fans for steam.

daryl14, Nov 18, 10:40pm
I bought a roof vent kit with my new extractor fan and a rubber boot to go over the duct where it penetrates the roof. Easy enough to install for a DIYer. Didn't want a soffit vent because oven right next to main entry to house.

My house had a simple open vent to the roof space over the range also.