Painting laminate flooring

rbd, Aug 6, 5:59pm
We recently bought a house with wooden laminate flooring, only a couple of years old I think. It is a light colour and marks very easy, always seems to b grubby.

Anyway, short of replacement is it practical to paint it a black colour?

supernova2, Aug 6, 8:18pm
If you are worried about marks showing now you certainly don't want black!

budgel, Aug 6, 9:05pm
Yes, it can be painted, but quite a lot of faffing around involved.

rbd, Aug 7, 5:11pm
Searched the Resene website and chatted to them.

Suggestion is to sand and stain with black stain. Follow up with three coats of 2-pack polyurethane.

I have spare sections of laminate that appear not to be sealed, whereas the floor has been sealed with some type of varnish. Is it normal to coat laminate floors after installation?

The amount of sanding needed will depend on how much stain the floor will absorb. Will do some trials in a hidden place.

zak410, Aug 7, 6:06pm
The amount of sanding will be as much as needed for ALL varnish to be removed;

Any left over varnish area will not stain and the floor could look quite patchy.

If Resene recommend a poly finish over stain, why not a paint ? I would ask them .

rbd, Oct 7, 12:49am
Well I did a trial using the black stain on a section of spare board that I'd sanded with 180 grit.

Stain uptake was insignificant. The upper layer of laminated floors is a very high density veneer about 3mm thick. I suspect it has a high percentage of adhesive soaked into it at production so that it has a low porosity. End result is it is pretty much waterproof even after sanding.

Stain won't work. Will talk to resene again.

I assume laminated floors are glued down? I'd just rip them up and tile but all the joinery (and the trim on the walls it seems) is laid on top after flooring, I'd have to cut around it all.

Nothing is simple.