Tiles over rimu flooring

catdog68, Feb 25, 4:48pm
Our house built 1960's has rimu floorboards, no borer. The kitchen is tiled, I presume it would be tiled over some sort of thin board. Has anyone lifted tiles and were able to restore the floorboards or would there be too much damage from the thin board being nailed down?

zak410, Feb 25, 8:52pm
Still worth doing. The floor sander can match colour and fill holes.

dutch9, Feb 25, 9:13pm
My 1960s house had tiles over native floor boards in kitchen , bathroom and toilet and I ripped them up but had the floor professionally varnished . Looks great even with nail holes and slight damage repaired as adds to the patina . . Had done with semi gloss as recommended . The rest of the house had carpet with heaps of nails and still looked fine once done .

lakeview3, Feb 25, 9:32pm
Cripes yes, tiles easy compared to scraping off hideous Lino stuck down with black sticky bitumen type stuff like I had to do in my old villa.

Doesn’t matter if they get a bit knocked around, adds to the character.

Get a professional to do it, you won’t regret.

I HATE tiles. We have them in our house. Unforgiving hard and awful to keep clean.

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 25, 9:34pm
My unit has polished boards, battered, nail holes, scrapes - love every inch. Warm, and easy to clean. Wish the kitchen and bathroom were the same.

I vote go for it.

flitt, Feb 26, 9:49pm
Tile & slate underlay, if used, directs a nail every 100mm2 and one every 50mm around the edge.

So, some planks would be worse than others with some a nail hole every 100mm and others with a double track of nails every 50mm.

marob2, Feb 27, 11:30am
Go for it. Rimu floors have a great ambiance and look good but do get a reliable tradie to do the job. Easy to clean and looks great if sanded and sealed well.

sanders4, Feb 27, 10:26pm
Tile and slate is fitted with 25 mm ridged nails - pulling them out will pull out a lot of wood as well and may leave an unsightly mess

dee238, Aug 14, 4:48pm
When I moved into my house there was ugly carpet in every room, other than wet areas. Those had ugly lino. Pulled the carpet up and the most amazing "polished" Rimu and Matai flooring was underneath. Holes from the tacks that held down the carpet and around the outside of each room. As everyone says, looks great.
Haven't lifted the lino in wet areas yet as there are two layers!
OP, go for gold. You won't regret it.