Tiles in general

canajanz1, Feb 25, 10:10pm
We are planning to tile right through the laundry kitchen mudroom and family room so that if anyone feels the need to come in from working and rush straight through it wont be a great drama.

FIRST theory :
make sure your tiles match the color of YOUR mud.Get some mud on a boot or a board or whatever suits you and let it dry. THAT should be the base color for your tiles in entryways or anywhere else people might (but better not) walk with dirty feet.

SECOND theory
An uneven surface with a mottled color will hide most sins.

Many years ago I used rustic uneven terracotta which, in spite of teh fact that it did not match our mud, managed to hide most things to the point that I often discovered what was on the floor by walking onto it ewwwwI hate walking on grit

Any further thoughts on tiling !:-)

jodie-mike, Feb 26, 4:07am
Larger format tiles make even small spaces look more spacious, less grout lines to visually clutter up a room.
Go for rectified edges and ask for grout to be installed flush to the top of the tiles.
Ask for as narrow as possible grout lines (1.5 - 3mm)

floweringrose, Feb 26, 4:17am
grout lines go with the tile size.

annies3, Feb 26, 4:24am
What are you going to tile over ! I like your idea for the colour, we have a solid fuel stove so expect to get a bit of smoke in the air from time to time we painted the walls a lovely soft blue (far horizon) seven years later they still look good but there is plenty of smoke on them.

canajanz1, Feb 26, 4:26am
What are rectified edges!

canajanz1, Feb 26, 4:27am
Tile over concrete slab . new build

annies3, Feb 26, 4:33am
Ok thats great I shudder now to think we put them over tongue and groove rimu it looks good and is easy to keep clean BUT because the base is flexible (it had all the reccomended layers of base etc) it moves and the grout breaks, but yours on that base will be wonderful especially if you have heating underneath.

louisen, Feb 26, 7:43am
not surprised grout cracks = far too much movement in substrate. tiling on a timber floor is NOT industry practice anymore.currrently trend is to use 2mm grout joins - or so ive noticed anyway

sanders4, Feb 26, 7:52am
re canajanz - a rectified tile is one that conforms to an identical size and is generally porcelain. However laser cut stone could also be known as rectified due to uniform size. most glazed tiles have a tolerance of plus or minus 1.5 mm so a 300 x 300 may be 298 x 298 or 301 x 301 for example.

andrac63, Feb 26, 9:08am
does anyone know where to get one metre square floor tiles!

canajanz1, Feb 26, 9:42am
Have you contributed to my thread on solid fuel stoves!I have questions about that too :-)

canajanz1, Feb 26, 9:45am
wooo that's big !I saw some that must have been 500 or 600 sq at our local floor store

bev00, Feb 26, 10:51am
recycling - great thoughts on tiling

sanders4, Feb 26, 2:07pm
re andrac- I have used 1sq m tiles from both heritage and European ceramics on Auckland jobs, ring around your local area.

lazeeboy, Feb 26, 9:14pm
My thoughts on tiling!

That depends what day of the week it is.

First call I would recommend is to consult a professional, and by this I mean someone who installs the product on a regular basis.

Next in line would be correcting any incorrect advice (This generally comes right after the tile purchase)

Please explain your thoughts on "rectified ceramic tiles" as I would be most interested to hear.

scotnz, Feb 27, 4:18am
Anyone tried the non-sip surfacing that can be added to tiles for bathroom!

louisen, Feb 27, 7:39am
can also be ceramic as well.

louisen, Mar 27, 4:44pm
nitemare size tile for a tiler to lay tho isn't it sanders - a bit hard on the body i would have thought!