Drilling holes in tiles?

rbd, Jun 22, 12:24am
Just had porcelain tiles laid in the bathroom & laundry over concrete. I now need to drill 10mm holes for the toilet and doorstop. I bought a Sutton tile drill but it doesn't achieve much once past the very tip, I note that it states not for porcelain. Now I see why.

What's the best technique? I tried a masonry drill and that seems to work if I go very slow, I just don't want to crack anything!

What's the best/safest technique? To hammer drill or not? Is there a better way.

And I've been testing on the offcuts, not that silly!

johotech, Jun 22, 12:44am

cagivachick1, Jun 22, 1:21am
my husband is a tiler and he says NO HAMMER DRILL, plumbers glue toilets down nowdays so no need to drill and the sill should really have been in and tiles finished to it,you could silicone that in as well, perhaps nail at the sides, if you use a hollow core bit you need to keep it wet as well

macman26, Jun 22, 1:45am
I drill tiles with a pilot drill first. About a 3mm masonary then go up a size. Never had a problem using quality masonry drills on tiles.

raven71, Jun 22, 3:14am
Just don't use the hammer action on your drill with the masonry bits.

captaingraham, Jun 22, 3:52am
Use a spade bit, run it slow and keep the tip cool.

cagivachick1, Jun 22, 4:22am
porcelain tiles are hard you need a good core drill

stevo2, Jun 22, 4:39am
This, and slow speed. As mentioned above, the toilet should just be siliconed down. Cant you use skirting mounted door stop?

rbd, Jun 22, 5:11am
Thanks for the advice. This toilet butts flash with the wall and comes with two plastic brackets to be screwed to the floor. The pan sits on top and has one fastener through each side. From memory that's the only retention for the pan.

budgel, Jun 22, 6:10am
Glue the doorstop with silicone by chocking into place, then a dab of silicone before you go to bed at night. Same for fastening toilet to floor.

rbd, Dec 9, 3:49pm
No, the door stop is to prevent the new aluminium door from hitting the framing when opening as this can cause damage. Wall is still a foot away when door open. Also door is only 3mm from floor so I'm limited on what type of doorstop can be fitted.

Off to buy the proper drill. Add another unused tool to the tool box dammit!