Fast-setting cement for floor tiles?

masturbidder, Sep 22, 10:12pm
Anyone know of a floor tile cement that sets quickly? I have a repair to do in the kitchen, where it is difficult to stop people walking on it for the couple of days required by normal adhesive.

annies3, Sep 22, 10:55pm
If it is a small area put a barricade to prevent anyone from stepping on the tiles.

fordcrzy, Sep 23, 5:41am
do the repair and then put a sheet of ply over it or a pallet

johotech, Sep 23, 5:49am
Mapei adhesive, you can walk on gently after 12-24hrs depending on the temperature. Although I only know about the mix yourself stuff in the 20kg? bags, not little ready mix containers.

happychappy50, Sep 23, 5:50am
As is poster suggests,works well & is a visual barrier as well,any good tile adhesive will work,most cement based adhesives dry reasonably quickly,depends on the substrate really as that is what sucks the moisture from the glue GL

sanders4, Sep 23, 6:41am
Neutral cure clear silicone sold for roof and gutter sealing is the best product for the repair - ensure surface is dry and dust free and apply in strips all over the back of tile. Allow about 4 hours dry time then grout but keep traffic off for 12 hours.25 years experience on commercial repairs!

cagivachick1, Sep 23, 9:18am
WHAT you may have been doing repairs for 24 years but sticking floor tiles down with silicone is bollocks and in no way up to any standard for tiling

johotech, Sep 23, 9:20am
Stick it down and go on holiday.

zak410, Sep 23, 10:42am
for a small repair I would simply use RapidSet.

masturbidder, Sep 23, 11:18am
thanks for the ideas, the difficulty is this is a small kitchen and the area in from the sink to the centre of the room (just where everyone walks) needs tile replacement.

ae64, Sep 25, 7:04am
Cemix sell a product called accelerset thru Bunnings et al. It can be added to thin set polymer modified cementitious mixes which is the group of products that cover things like EIFS plasters, tile adhesives, AAC thin bed glues etc - or if it was me I'd use a no more nails. Most of these modern glues will stick masonry materials - but avoid polyurethane glues like Gorilla glue

blueviking, Sep 25, 8:19pm
Cement fondue. Sets off cement based plasters within minutes. Unfortunately trowel trades only sell by the 2litre bucket. Or lay the tile last thing at night to give it time to set during the night.

sanders4, Sep 26, 11:06pm
cagivachick you need to use brain and not mouth - silicone for repairs is best as it dries quickly, is flexible and totally waterproof when set - hence no recalls in 26 years. Only downside is cost .

cagivachick1, Sep 26, 11:47pm
my husband has been in the plastering/tiling industry since 1975, self employed since 1986, has laid thousands of meters of tiles on both domestic and commercial jobs so i can use his brain, can you point out in the branz good tiling guide where they say its ok to use silicone to set floor tiles or on the silicone manufacturers specs where they recommend using their product to set tiles. Perhaps you have had no call backs in 26 years because the customer didnt want you back to do another half arsed repair, obviously you dont need to ride a horse to be a cowboy

brafe, Sep 27, 4:28am
Its people like you that give tradesmen a bad name! Of course your not going to get called back, A fair bit of my work is tidying up after muppets like you!

sanders4, Sep 27, 5:13am
If you bothered to read the original post you would learn perhaps that we are discussing a repair - remember use brain first. As for BRANZ exactly how many products did they endorse for leaky homes? Muppets - ? argumentative f wits is what I think. If you do not want to assist the original poster then do not waste your time .

brafe, Sep 27, 6:59pm
Weather your doing whole job or repair you use the correct product sanders, not silicone or no more nails as someone else suggested! We are helping the poster my trying to steer them away from incorrect methods. Use your brain and accept your advice is poor, should just leave the advice to tradesmen.

masturbidder, Sep 27, 9:34pm
Wow, lots of different ideas to a simple question!
I am doubtful about silicon to stick down floortiles because it is flexible so the grouting might crack.

zak410, Sep 27, 9:42pm
I suggested RapidSet, and I would use that,
Or either cement fondue as suggested by blueviking.

Both good cement solutions for a rapid strong setting IMO.

mrfxit, Sep 27, 10:16pm
Tiles, are a HARD thin plate, to expect them to last as a "walking on surface", they NEED to be mounted on a hard base with a hard setting bonding/glue agent
Silicon in the most commonly available forms, is a flexible substance

mrfxit, Sep 27, 10:20pm
Nothing wrong with using silicon products as a joint grout when sticking tiles on solid walls.
Walking on is a totally different matter.
Dirt/ water/ cooking by products, (cooking oils etc) vibration/ temp changes/ shifting weights (walking/ dropping heavy box's etc) / detergents etc, all play havoc with flooring

cagivachick1, Sep 17, 1:50pm
keep digging that hole, obviously any of the major tile adhesive manufacturers will have a fast set adhesive or use a normal adhesive and stick something over the replaced tile so no one stands on it. whether its a repair or a new install the client deserves the job to be done a proper tradesman like manor in fact you are obligated to do it properly even if the client requests a dodgy patch up job