Replacing seratone shower with tiles

Page 1 / 2
3ofeach, Oct 7, 8:41am
At the moment we have a 30 year old seratone ( or similar ) lined shower with a ss tray, that has just started to leak and needs to be upgraded. How involved/easy would it be to replace with tiles and would the job need a building permit? TIA

underconstructy, Oct 7, 9:21am
Yes you need consent. Water proofing behind tiles is restricted work and must be carried out by a qualified person and a producer statement issued afterward.

vomo2, Oct 7, 7:35pm
It would probably be more cost effective to install a new glass shower. Buy one in a sale and you wont regret it.

3ofeach, Oct 7, 9:47pm
At the moment the shower is 90x87x90. How hard would it be to alter the framing to allow an acrylic shower cubicle to be installed as I haven't found any that exact size? Sorry, just looking at all the possibilities.

nzjay, Oct 7, 10:05pm
A certified water proof membrane is required behind tiles. Not a biggie tho if that's what you want.

mullett_007, Oct 7, 10:16pm
If you want a tiled shower then go for it. It's not hard to get waterproofing done. We recently replaced our stainless steel shower tray and seratone walls and it was rotten as f underneath. Beggers belief a bit you don't need a permit for that when clearly it ain't waterproof.

3ofeach, Oct 7, 10:50pm
I just want a good looking shower that doesn't leak. The ex had visions of himself simply tiling the shower himself to save money lol. I thought it would be a bit more involved. I do know I want to get rid of the shower curtain and have a glass door and a shower dome.

gwimweeper, Oct 8, 1:20am
When my Seratone shower walls needed replacing the cheapest option was acrylic.

They manufactured it to fit the existing cubicle.

It looks really good.

nukhelenc, Oct 8, 2:13am
You can get acrylic cut and bent to any size, but i have no clue as to who up your way. Im in Dunedin

freesia, Oct 8, 3:04am
x2
I have looked after several apartments for my brother and had to renovate bathrooms on more than one occasion. NEVER NEVER would I ever have tiles in a shower again. They are a hassle with leaks, cracks, mould. you name it. They look good but don't go the distance.

firefly001, Oct 8, 6:09am
Try home plus for the liner. A work friend was told by their builder that they couldn't have a tiled shower as they had wooden piles etc and their builder would only do tiled showers on concrete floor.

pestri, Oct 8, 6:33am
Have a look at Ulrich Aluminium's sandwich sheeting (often used for footpath signage downtown) about $100 for a 2.4 m sheet. Easily worked and cut, its a plastic sheet lined each side with Aluminium.

A friend has a campsite and has just re lined all his older showers, about 10, with this, they have come up clean and tidy at a very reasonable cost. I doubt whether a permit was required.

cagivachick1, Oct 8, 7:19am
It sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle with your leaking shower. But don't worry - I've got some advice for you on replacing it with tiles.

First things first - if you're not familiar with what seratone is, it's a type of shower lining that's commonly used in New Zealand. It's a plastic panel that's attached to the walls of your shower, and it's designed to be a waterproof barrier. However, over time it can start to crack or peel, which can lead to leaks and other problems.

If you're considering replacing your seratone shower with tiles, there are a few things to keep in mind. First of all, tiling a shower is definitely a more involved process than simply replacing the seratone panels. You'll need to remove the old lining, prepare the walls and floor for tiling, and then install the tiles themselves. It's not a job for the faint of heart, but if you're up for a challenge it can be a great DIY project.

As for whether or not you'll need a building permit, that will depend on where you live and the specific regulations in your area. In general, if you're making any structural changes to your bathroom (such as removing walls or relocating plumbing), you'll probably need a permit. However, if you're simply replacing the shower lining and tray with tiles, you may not need a permit. I would recommend checking with your local council or building department to find out for sure.

In terms of the actual process of tiling a shower, there are a few things to keep in mind. You'll need to use waterproofing membranes on the walls and floor to prevent any leaks, and you'll need to choose the right type of tiles for the job (porcelain or ceramic tiles are a good choice for showers). You'll also need to make sure that the tiles are installed correctly and that the grout lines are sealed to prevent any water from getting behind the tiles.

All in all, tiling a shower can be a challenging but rewarding DIY project. Just be sure to do your research and take the time to do it right. And if you're not confident in your abilities, don't hesitate to hire a professional to do the job. Good luck with your bathroom renovation!

3ofeach, Oct 8, 7:33am
Thanks for the ideas. Luckily we have concrete floors. Someone today suggested trying our insurance company first but I'm not very hopeful with that idea but will certainly give it a go.

ebygum1, Oct 8, 7:44pm
This is called A C P [ aluminium composite panel ] If using it for wall lining make sure you earth it.

yorkie13, Oct 9, 7:28pm
. We just done our bathroom,took off seratone only to fine rotten mouldy gib & seratone. re-lined with aqua line and tiled. we didn't need a pro or council permission.we checked with council. in the end we did the entire bathroom floor and all. $900.

3ofeach, Oct 9, 11:40pm
yorkie13 wrote:
. We just done our bathroom,took off seratone only to fine rotten mouldy gib & seratone. re-lined with aqua line and tiled. we didn't need a pro or council permission.we checked with council. in the end we did the entire bathroom floor and all. $900.[/quote.
I found out we would need a permit, 1k to have tiles. Went to HomePlus but our local one no longer does showers made to measure but Showerman just along the road from them does. That is increasingly looking to be the best option. No permit required to replace with acrylic.

underconstructy, Oct 10, 6:58am
Yeah ya did, you just don't know it yet. You probably asked the wrong question to your council. Who provided you with a producer statement to warrant your waterproof in membrane?

lovelurking, Oct 10, 10:10am
Can't remember where I heard or read it but I remember comments saying that failed tile bathrooms are soon going to be the next big leaky buildings problem.
Insurance might not cover the costs to repair the damage either.

gilligee, Oct 10, 10:17am
Do you really want to have to clean a tiled shower? They get so grotty especially the grouting.

survivalkiwi, Oct 10, 6:43pm
I read that article also. The article was aimed at diy know it alls and tv shows giving people bad advise.
I had a tiled shower on my last house I built 10 years ago and we never had a problem but now have tenants in that house and they do not keep it as clean as we would have but we went acrylic liners in this build.
Yes I do love the look of tiles but in reality you only really look at it for the first few months.

yorkie13, Oct 11, 7:54am
. I specificaly asked the building inspector at the council and he said, " so long as it is signed off by a certified builder". and the same applies to the kitchen, we are 2 thirds through. Pays to do your homework,councils don't charge for everything.

underconstructy, Oct 11, 8:35pm
I do my homework and I do this for a living. I'm tell you right now the advice you got is dead wrong.

nukhelenc, Oct 11, 10:25pm

pestri, Oct 11, 11:00pm
Possibly a good point but if there is no cabling within the area?