Concrete roof tiles. Have an old concrete tileroof from when house was built in 1940s was thinking about re roofing but partner

blurple1, Oct 19, 7:35pm
have an old concrete tileroof from when house was built in 1940s, was thinking about re roofing but partner likes the tile look, am going to paint it myself as am a painter by trade, what paint shouldi use! who do i get to check over the existing tiles etc! and has any one had this done!

budgel, Oct 19, 9:34pm
Talk to your paint supplier, they have access to lots of technical advice from the manufacturers.

Be very careful when on the roof, as it is easy to damage the tiles and oneself.

toffeey, Oct 20, 3:03am
I reroofed a few years ago with new concrete tiles and they came with the colour already applied

toffeey, Oct 20, 3:16am
Oh are you going to paint the old roof! My 1950s roof was worn out and tiles were pourous and crumbling. Don't think paint would have helped

elliehen, Oct 20, 3:19am
Are the house piles still sound!Nowadays building inspectors sometimes make builders put in extra piles to stop potential sagging under the extra weight of concrete tiles.

elect70, Oct 20, 3:33am
Average tile roofweighs 3tons, wonderhavent been banned as unsafe in an e quake . Last house replaced with color steel,sheet tilessimilar colourasmany of old tilescracked.

toffeey, Oct 20, 4:56pm
Yes in one of the recent shakes I listened to them moving and wondered at the wisdom of having them. However my house is such a lovely warm quiet house and I didnt want to mess with a thing. Mind you wheni had to replace my fire I had to put in extra insulation and that has mucked it all up.

blurple1, Oct 20, 7:45pm
yeah i just want to freshen the roof up might talk to a company that does it and get there advice, in what way did the insulation muck thyings up!

budgel, Oct 20, 11:04pm
If your tiles are sound and can be resealed, it will reduce the weight on the structure by a large amount. Concrete tiles can hold a lot of water without actually leaking.

toffeey, Oct 21, 12:15am
Before ceiling insulation my house was oddly warm at night in winter. Post insulatio it is now cold unless I heat it. I think the concrete tiles might have been acting as a heat sink. I know it sounds weird.

newtec1, Oct 22, 11:09am
You will needto waterblast them first,then replace the cracked tiles,if it is that old you will probably need to take the ridge caps off and repoint them with flexypoint which is not as brittle as the old conc.I gues being a painter you will know what paint to use,but you will need a good base first before two top coats and a sealer coat.i was involved at one stage of roof improvements,but can't remember the product they use through the airless gun.