Coloursteel vs Zincalume roofing?

sliphgrrl, Nov 25, 3:53am
I will be replacing the corrugated iron on the 100sq metre roof on my house soon and wanted to know what people recommend.

Which lasts longer?

If I choose zincalume I'm thinking of painting it to extend its life - is this a good idea?

What is the price difference between the two materials?

And lastly what building paper do people recommend, as there are many types/brands?

mrgts4, Nov 25, 4:10am
If you are going to paint it you may as well get coloursteel, it will be cheaper than the cost of painting. We mainly use thermakraft 407 roofing underlay, It is strong and can take the wellington winds when it is nailed/stapled in place when laying the roof

golfdiver, Nov 25, 4:20am
Whatever paper you use, make sure it is self support. The newer synthetic underlay is certainly fantastic but it is also pretty expensive. As said, don't install zincalume if you plan on painting it, the savings simply are not there.
Colorsteel has a zincalume base.
There are a few imported brands on the market at the moment, while the base steel looks to be very good, the painting systems are not standing up to New Zealand's UV conditions. Make sure you specify the genuine product even if it costs a bit more. You only pay for quality once, with crap you never stop paying.

sliphgrrl, Nov 25, 4:51am
Thanks for the replies.

I was going to paint myself, so the cost would only be in the paint.
But if its still not much different i might as well get coloursteel as i presume its a better product?

And yes, i will be buying genuine product only, as i'm a do it once do it right person.

Also, any recommendations for reasonably priced suppliers of roofing materials in the Auckland region?

I will be installing myself (i have building experience).

maddie44, Nov 25, 4:54am
x1
Our house needs doing and I am going with the zincalume because it won't grow lichen the way all the appalling looking coloursteel roofs around us have.

stevo2, Nov 25, 5:04am
Hey Golfdiver.
Where is the best place in Tga to get all my roofing and flashings self supporting paper etc for my bach re-roof. It has onduline on it :(
I did one half of the gable a year ago and want to finish it off now.
I used maxx for the 1st half and would like to use the same again or the equivalent in the opposition product as it is near the sea up north.
I have all the measurements but the company I bought from last time are not very friendly.
Cheers Stevo

golfdiver, Nov 25, 5:15am
Steel and Tube have always given me brilliant service.

golfdiver, Nov 25, 5:17am
It will still grow on zincalume. Galv actually keeps it away better, If you choose a dark colour of Colorsteel you will be alright. Lichen will grow on almost any surface, (even glass) but it isn't hard to keep away.

sliphgrrl, Nov 25, 6:33am
What does 'self support' mean - does it mean the building paper is stronger?
I'm planning on using stainless staples to fix it to the purlins.

Also, any recommendations on screws?

dlmckay, Nov 25, 6:42am
I had a roof redone in zincalume for the cost savings and I felt really sorry for my neighbour, slightly further up the hill who overlooked our roof as it was VERY shiny.

golfdiver, Nov 25, 8:58am
I use the Ramset zip screws. Don't be tempted to get longer than you need.
Self support is the paper to use if you are at over 4 degrees and are not using netting. The synthetic paper is seriously expensive and much harder to cut but is great. That said we have put on hundreds and hundreds of roofs with bituminous paper. Thermacraft 215 is the best black paper

golfdiver, Nov 25, 9:00am
If you are going unpainted I would seriously consider Zam

sliphgrrl, Nov 25, 9:46am
Thanks golfdiver.
Can you tell me what is Zam? How does it compare quality and cost wise with coloursteel?

golfdiver, Nov 25, 5:37pm
Zam is a product from the Nishan steel company in Japan. It varies slightly from Zincalume because it has a very low mix of magnesium in its make up. Like Zincalume it is self sealing when it is cut, but it has the advantage of not being ultra shiny and for some reason there is no corrosion or rust from drill swarf. They are still having issues with trying to colour it but as an uncoated product it is fantastic. I know it is available from Roofman in Tauranga and it is very good in coastal environments. I wouldn't touch the coloured version but unpainted it is top notch. Not sure on the price, but unlikely to be cheap.

sliphgrrl, Jul 21, 6:12pm
Thank you, I will investigate