Conservatory roofing, whats it callled?

happymullen, Aug 29, 8:39pm
Hi there, can anyone tell me the name of the product used? The stuff on our conservatory is brittle, faded and peeling (pretty old, probably the original, maybe 20-25 years).
I am wanting to get in a tradesman to replace but have no idea who to contact. Builders crack probably and I need words to describe the replacement stuff required. Thanks.

ebygum1, Aug 29, 8:51pm
Concrete?

happymullen, Aug 29, 8:54pm
Hmmmm, I know its not concrete! But thanks for the suggestion.

ebygum1, Aug 29, 8:55pm
I think we need a better description or a pic. to help you.
The chances are it's polycarbonate or similar.

happymullen, Aug 29, 8:57pm
Ah, that's the word, thanks!

rainrain1, Aug 29, 8:59pm
Could it be Perspex ? Years down the track we replaced with glass, the original roofing was hideous, as dirt would get in between the layers and became impossible to clean, also it started to leak. The glass lets in more light into the main house which I find much better. I'm sure they have way better plastic roofing now though. We contacted a builder to do it

happymullen, Aug 29, 9:07pm
Again, thanks for the comment. that has certainly given me something to think about, what a great suggestion!

nukhelenc, Aug 30, 1:07am
Its called Twinwall polycarbonate. Most people in the know will know it as twinwall.
If it has holes in the outside, ring your insurance and say its hail damage.
Some insurance may replace it, but remember its hail damage, and you forgot when it hailed last.
Aluminium Firms and Glass Companies should be able to replace it.
But your insurance will sort it if you can claim on it.

annies3, Aug 30, 1:20am
Ours is Bondor panels, insulated and is great.

happymullen, Aug 30, 5:51am
Thanks everyone. How amazing about hail damage, because we had a few hailstorms this winter. Might give the insurance company a ring and see, stuff too old maybe.

johotech, Aug 30, 6:41am
Did it look like the 4th or 5th image down on this page?
http://beresoviygai.com/fiberglass-corrugated-roofing-panels/

It might have been fibreglass. Popular 20-30 years ago. Most of it would be stuffed by now in NZ.

aj.2., Aug 30, 6:45am
Laser light or nova light is the name i think that it is sold under ,
there are different grades , some block out the UV better than others.

aj.2., Aug 30, 6:47am
http://www.psp.co.nz/translucent-roofing/corrugated-sheeting/suntuf-polycarbonate
This is the stuff , OP.
That was done with , nova light in the search machine.

happymullen, Aug 30, 11:17am
Twinwall it is! Had another look at it today, and its definitely twinwall. 2 layers with corrugations in-between, kind of like corrugated cardboard. The top layer has perished in many places and I am surprised it hasn't leaked yet. Certainly is a job to be done soon as!
No idea how old, but probably at least 20 years! Lasted pretty well really.
Thanks again, always able to get good answers on this message board.

dbab, Aug 30, 9:13pm
We had the same thing with our roof. The hail went through the top layer. We went to a glass place and they replaced it with some white "stuff" (no idea what it's called). It stops the burning heat in the summer, and there is still enough warmth and light through the side glass in the winter.

happymullen, Aug 30, 10:28pm
dbab, did you go through the insurance company? I suspect ours is just old.

golfdiver, Aug 30, 10:36pm
Hi OP, remember that bad hailstorm in May 09? Dozens of people claimed damage to these roofs and had them replaced under insurance. They were sending us to quote the corrugated polycarbonate roofs and were approved without a loss adjuster even viewing them. Wait till the next hail and claim

nukhelenc, Aug 31, 12:30am
Twinwall comes with a 10year warranty against UV only.
You can get it in Clear, Bronze, or Grey tint.
The UV slowly buggers it then the hail can smash the top layer when its old. I dont know why insurance will cover it, but they do. So just Try.
Ring them and say you only just noticed its been hail damaged, and they will send some one to look.
Otherwise if its the average size on the ground and around 7 panels wide then it might cost around the 2K give or take

Sheets are only UV protected on one side.

maddie44, Aug 31, 3:14am
The old stuff.
The new stuff has double sided UV protection and has a ten year limited guarantee against discolouration, loss of light transmission and loss of impact strength due to weathering.

nukhelenc, Oct 13, 4:49pm
The sheets that i have had of late and over the years show one side to the UV only. So are one sided. Maybe different brands have both sided, but ive never seen one yet.