Anyone painted a decromastic roof?

onyx-1, Jun 22, 5:17am
I cannot afford to recoat. so was wondering is painting it a possibility? Stone chips have come off in parts and I have touched up any rust with rust kill and primer plus a top coat.
Any recommendations much appreciated.

-bookzone-, Jun 22, 5:44am
Haven't done one myself, but an airless sprayer would be my suggestion for doing the job. Hire outlets should have one.

samanya, Jun 22, 6:12am
My neighbours had theirs professionally painted . from a ginger brown to charcoal & it's really looking good. I'm sure there will be heaps of advice coming for a DIY job. Ask your Resene shop or any other reputable paint retailers. We all know preparation is the major factor, so I'm sure it can be done. Good luck.

pete48, Jun 22, 6:34am
Have done them before. Airless spray, a full coat of oil based galvanised primer, then 2 coats of Resene Summit roof paint. Waterblasted first Looked good afterward. Peter

golfdiver, Jun 23, 6:44am
I've done thousands. If you aren't going to re-chip it don't bother. It will look mud. Save your money and put it towards a reroof.

onyx-1, Jun 23, 8:13am
So you wouldn't recommend a repaint? If it lasts 5 years id be happy before having to re-roof

golfdiver, Jun 23, 7:18pm
Why are you going to do it then? Surely the roof will last 5 more years, and remember if you coat it you need to waterblast it at around 3000 psi. My advice is to re-nail where needed and pop a few dents out and then stay off it until the time is right for you to replace it.

ang_ck, Jun 23, 9:32pm
I had my roof re-chip and re-coated for about 3.3K. I used this guys

http://www.roofingandcoatings.co.nz/roofrestoration.html

budgel, Jun 24, 4:25am
My dear old Mum had hers recoated when she lived in Whangarei for about 3.5K. It came up well and looked like a new roof.

If there is any rust showing I would be wary of doing it, but decramastic roofs can look crappy even though they have years of life left in them.

p.monro, Jun 24, 7:46pm
I did mine about 15 years ago
First spray with 4% hypochlorite. Use garden sprayer
second let the rain wash it off or hose off. If there is any lichen then treat those.
third spot paint rust patches with oil based primer
airless spray 2 coats. 40 l in 2 hours
Comments waterblasting will remove any loose chips which could otherwise be bound up in the repaint

golfdiver, Jun 25, 8:32pm
If you are going to do it and you leave the dirt on there, welcome to failureville.

timbo69, Jun 26, 10:33am
Mine didnt.

timbo69, Dec 6, 10:07pm
I repainted one 12 years ago to buy me some time before re-roofing. It also dramatically improved the look. I sold the house in the meantime when I drove past not so long ago and its still there.