Wallpapering a previously papered and painted wall

ddmjo, Apr 14, 12:25am
I am decorating a bedroom in an old house, built early 50s, that has undergone numerous painting and paperings. I had a gloss paint that always felt sticky over vinyll paper. I peeled the paper away and used warm water and wallpaper removerto get the underpaper off, only to find another painted wall over another level of paper that seems to be stuck directly to the old plaster board. The plaster inside is pink its so old. Anyway, I have left the original paper on as it was way to fixed to the old plaster board that I was gouging big holes trying to get it off. I've plastered up the holes and garks and dents, sanded, cleaned everything down with sugar soap, sanded again, applied Acrylic undercoat and wallboard sealer as recommended by the diy lady at ITM. now I'm tossing up weather to apply another coat then paint it final color or to hang paper. If I was to hang paper, what would be my next step!

zak410, Apr 14, 12:35am
Size the walls with wallpaper paste first then wallpaper.

nzrose7, Apr 14, 12:48am
I prefer paper, you can hide minor imperfections with patterned paper, while paint will show every tiny little thing.

ddmjo, Apr 14, 3:26am
I've uncovered lots of imperfections once I got the first layer off so I'm thinking paper to. Although I have really gone to town with the plastering up of every ding and dent, now the wall looks pretty good with its first coat of sealer on it. I have the paint if that's what I end up doing, and the wallpaper too, just not sure of the papering process as I've not done it before. Google all says to size the walls but not really clear as some say size, some say sealer, some say thinned wallpaper glue. I thought Google had all the answers! Hmmm.

annies3, Apr 14, 3:27am
The finish needs to be perfect for a final coat of paint, it always looks really nice if correctly done, much easier just to paper.
If you do paint use flat or low sheen, that also helps with hiding the imperfections.

lilyfield, Apr 14, 3:56am
we have always used thinned glue for seizing.

zak410, Apr 14, 3:57am
Sizing the walls makes it easier and will help you to slide the wallpaper to its correct position, just use wallpaper paste.

ddmjo, Apr 14, 4:16am
So do I make it up and brush or roll it on! Whole room at once or just ahead of the paper a bit at a time! I've resorted to an actual book now. The Readers Digest Complete Guide to Home Improvement says, prime bare walls with size.use a brush.cover whole surface evenly. So I guess that's the whole room as the wet ready pasted paper will make it tacky again as each bit goes up. Wow, books eh.

buddytom, Apr 14, 4:21am
Use the wallpaper size rather than watered down paste, you can get small packets of size as said previously it makes papering that much easier

trade4us2, Apr 14, 5:31am
Put a light against the bottom of the wall facing upwards. You will then see all the imperfections that you missed! Put a pencil mark around them and replaster.

ddmjo, Apr 14, 7:04am
Great tip! I've just done it and where it feels smooth to touch actually looks bumpy. Not tooo bad though, but more time than I can afford, the kids want their room back. Paper it is!

trade4us2, Apr 14, 7:10am
I learned the light trick by watching a plasterer. My last house had such bad walls that I put heavily embossed paper on. It cost a lot and took me an age.
I prefer paint these days. I can repaint a room very quickly at low cost and the paint is washable.

firefly001, Apr 14, 9:08am
I have my readers digest book out to guide me making roman blinds.Hmm books already printed to refer to, which is fabulous when the kids used all the ink in the printer

ddmjo, Apr 14, 11:10am
I know! Kids pffft! Seems like Readers Digest have a book for everything, the paper version of Google. I've been wanting to make roman blinds but the windows here are not double glazed so I was worried about drafts. One day.

brightlights60, Apr 15, 5:09am
Am hearing you OP. We are having our living areas redone curtosy of EQC insurance. We had wallpaper over numerous wallpapers and paint. The whole lot has been stripped, quite a job as the last lot was on that lovely lathe and plaster board. Then the plasterers came in to plaster, then skim coat. Tomorrow the final paint finish coat goes on and its going to be painted. Should look lovely, 3 weeks down the track.

eella, May 14, 9:19am
Go for the paste the wall product, heaps of choice, nz made also as imports. No messy tables, or wet paper, just prep walls, size and put the paste direct on the wall and apply product dry to pasted wall. You can even get coloured glue that dries clear. Get a good solid vinyl texture, covers heaps, completely washable that wears well and doesnt leave marks or streaks when washed like paint does.