Question on electric cables in wall.

kaconda, Aug 3, 8:22am
I noticed when replacing some gib the power cabling between power outlets vary in size. Is this normal?

underconstructy, Aug 3, 8:55am
Yes, no and maybe. Photo at all?

p.monro, Aug 3, 8:06pm
A very appropriate reply.
I guess that you made this observation because you saw the power outlet and observed that the cables were of different sizes. So there is no confusion possible in this matter. Are the cables white in colour or are they older rubber cables?
I guess they are TPS white in colour and plastic cover. Two sizes are commonly used for power outlets. One has a rating of 15 amps and the other 25 amps.
Some time ago cables were introduced into NZ which were marginally smaller but I understand these are no longer allowed. They are all different in size. It is a matter of choice what size is is installed

Congratulate yourself on being observant and asking the question

unclejake, Aug 4, 11:05am
It's reasonable to expect to see three sizes of triple wire TPS (Tough Plastic Seath?) in a kitchen. The smallest for lighting circuits, the next up for power points, and larger again for an electric stove or oven.

In older houses you may also see a smaller external dimension cable that has less insulation on the earth wire.

I think a photo (as suggested earlier) is a good idea. The person who partially re-wired the house I currently own used alarm cable for many of the lights. He/she was a cheap jerk. Lots of things like that get hidden behind Gib and make me angry

kwaka5, Aug 4, 6:31pm
Unclejake. if this is the case then you need to have the house retired to correct spec cables. Alarm cables are not designed to use 230v and the insulation could break down. Please get an electrical inspector to check your wiring and he can then report on the faults, and if it can be proven to be done by the last owner, get them prosecuted to stop them doing this again.

unclejake, Aug 5, 9:33am
I replaced the alarm wiring years ago (as soon as I found it). The previous owner was a verified idiot so going after them (her and her father - who did much of the work) was futile.

It didn't stop with wiring. I think the record was 17 short lengths of scrap timber nailed (poorly) against an original rimu stud to form a single jack stud for a window lintel. Unbelievable.

kaconda, Aug 6, 1:10am
Hi all,thanks for the advice. I cant take a pic as we gibbed at the time . will be able to get to it again when we do the other side of the wall. This wiring would only be about 8 years ago. The cable coming out of the floor plate is a white flat 3 wire about 9mm across. this goes to the power outlet. The heavier looking cable is 1mm flat and has the earth wires thru the middle (unsheathed) This goes from the first outlet to another about 1.5 m away. Outlets are next to bed (for bedside lights, radio etc. Advice is much appreciated.

pauldw, Aug 6, 6:08am
Heavier looking and 1mm flat don't seem to go together.

What you've got might be an outlet added years ago with early TPS with bare earth then more recent replacement of the original wiring to the 1st outlet with newer TPS.

kaconda, Aug 6, 8:49am
Sorry Pauldw, I meant 10mm across. my question really was, does mixing two different sizes matter? cheers

elect70, Nov 1, 4:48pm
+2 i saw result of telephone wire used for general wiring in a garage , it caught fire as owner was using a drier in there . They are trying to track down who did it .