Electric socket in bathroom question

sumstyle, Jan 15, 8:57pm
Hi all
In the 2nd bathroom there is a heated towel rail that is hard wired into the wall, and there is an on/off switch. I want the towel rail removed, and I wanted to know if the existing switch, which is 300mm off the floor to the left of a vanity, changed to one that could be used for bathroom-specific for a hair dryer, electric toothbrush etc?

johotech, Jan 15, 9:25pm
Possibly. It would have to be RCD protected.

russ18, Jan 15, 10:10pm
Towel rail may be on a lighting circuit which a hair dryer could max out or even overload.

johotech, Jan 15, 11:46pm
that's why I said possibly. But there's nothing wrong with a power point on a lighting circuit right Russ?

russ18, Jan 16, 3:45am
Knowing the load will include a hair dryer could well be a problem.

johotech, Jan 16, 4:32am
The one in my bathroom on a lighting circuit that the wife uses for her hair drier has never caused any problems.

russ18, Jan 16, 4:49am
But if the circuit protection on a 1mm lighting circuit requires updating you could be required to fit a 6 amp MCB and hair dryers are up to 10 amp plus whatever else is running on that circuit.
Don't know what circuit protection you have on you existing bathroom socket but if you were installing now to current requirements would it work as well?

johotech, Jan 16, 5:18am
Gee Russ, your wife must have a lot of hair, I've never seen a 2.4kW hair drier before.

russ18, Jun 8, 11:09pm
Don't know what the wife uses but noel leeming s lists enough of them from 1600 to 2400 watts