Smelly new electric jug

rak1, Feb 6, 1:58am
x1
We have a new electric jug which works well, BUT, the water smells/tastes like swimming pool water once it has boiled. Is there something we can put in it to rid us of this smell and taste!

rpvr, Feb 6, 3:19am
Put white vinegar in the water and boil then rinse out. May need to be done a couple of times.

nerak, Feb 6, 3:34am
If it's one of those so-called 'quiet' ones . they're like that:(

junie2, Feb 6, 5:02am
Ended up ditching ours,after trying vinegar and everything else I could think of. Paid more, and got a decent one ( after smelling in shop - LOL! )

rachiem, Feb 6, 5:04am
Yep white vinegar and every now and then boil and discard water, it will go away, ours took about a week of discarding previously boiled water and re-boiling.

trade4us2, Feb 6, 8:14am
The smell never really goes away.
I bought a stainless steel jug for $50, and that is fine.

kinna54, Feb 7, 8:32am
citric acid.couple of tsps to a full jug.boil hard, then leave to stand for a while or overnight.
Thoroughly rinse. Keep repeating if necessary, but a couple of goes should fix it

nerak, Feb 7, 8:43am
I took mine back and they exchanged it. I got the impression I wasn't the first.

rak1, Feb 7, 7:09pm
OK, will try the citric acid. Have done 3 cycles of the white vinegar and smell is still there. If the acid doesnt work we will be returning it. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

blyme_jerv, Feb 13, 3:25am
we rang the manufacture and they said said citric acid boil before bed and leave over night.it did work but slowly comes back.and incidently its a stainess steel one

rak1, Feb 13, 7:02pm
Yes blyme, it is stainless. I think we will be returning it.

rob_man, Feb 13, 7:22pm
We still get that after almost a year, the trick is to only boil smaller amounts so it's not so wasteful to change water every time you boil it.
Then never boil the same water twice

jag5, Mar 7, 12:10pm
baking soda.leave overnight.