Electric Jug

organickiwi, Jul 19, 3:46am
Sorry for popping up so late. I did a Trade Me search for my jug in the message boards. We have a whisper kettle, a Russell Hobbs one, incredibly noisy after a week using it. nosier than most jugs. what do you suggest doing? Take a video and send it to Fair Go?

budgel, Jul 19, 6:55am
Take it back and change it!

hazelnut2, Jul 21, 5:38am
We had two kettles leak from sight holes. so now our new kettle is glass bodied, where the water level is visible at the merest of glances.

apollo11, Jul 21, 7:55am
The glass bodied ones are great, ours has lasted for several years. Before that we were stupidly using plastic jugs which would only last a year before the plastic water level strip would get brittle and crack. Plus the water always tasted plasticky.

tweake, Jul 21, 9:22am
just talking today at work. the lunchroom jug is playing up.
its a plastic Russel Hobs.
i replaced the element in it over 20 years ago. it would probably be 25 years old.

why buy cheap crap?

cantabman1, Jul 21, 7:45pm
I just take them back and get a replacement. Now on our 4th jug in 6 years.The consumers Guarantee Act says, that goods sold must be fit for perpose, and last a reasonable time.12-18 months is not it.

kaddiew, Jul 21, 8:20pm
Totally agree. The CGA has worked in my favour countless times; I don;t know why more people don't use it. With the last faulty jug I returned a few weeks ago, the assistant tried to argue it was one month out of its 12 month warranty - one mention from me of the CGA and she stopped arguing and replaced it.

rover79, Jan 10, 12:47am
Just wondering if anyone has sealed up one of these that leak out of the sight glass, and what you used. TIA

budgel, Jan 10, 4:42am
I used a fifty dollar note and bought a new one from the Warehouse.

mojo49, Jan 10, 5:17am
I have also tried several times to reseal them. Only thing that works for me is Fly Buys points.

bill1451, Jan 10, 6:27am
Possibly try something called "humebond" this is a 2 pot mix with about the consistency of putty, it wont be pretty but you could also try 2 pot araldite, allow a day or so to harden especially with hot water. I have used humebond for all sorts of things, cracked plastic basins, watering cans, and even a spa bath.

kevlight, Jan 10, 6:46am
if its a plastic jug throw it out you do not want water and electrics mixing ; if it is a Russel Hobbs metal kettle dismantle the sight glass area ,and blank off the sight water exit, a small rubber washer and miniature nut bolt will do it.

imagine4, Jan 10, 10:17am
very good thats what i would of done

tmenz, Jan 10, 6:55pm
$51 will buy a brand new Russell Hobbs stainless steel Whisper jug from The Appliance Shed.

aredwood, Jan 10, 10:46pm
Use super glue. Yes it can handle high temperature. Used it to fix the plastic filters in my old dishwasher. And if it doesn't work you would have only spent $2 or so trying.

rover79, Jan 11, 2:50am
Thanks for the answers.
We had bought a new one before even asking this question.
just thought there might have been an easy fix for them, we've bought a new jug every 12-18 months in the last 10 years, all due to leaking out the site glass.

kaddiew, Nov 17, 4:11pm
Every 12-18 months? That's when you take them back to the retailer and get a replacement or refund under the Consumer Guarantees Act.