Helps - fat/oil marks on matt painted wallpaper

nonumbers, Jan 27, 4:50am
Minor disaster with some spitting bacon - I have tried hot water and washing up liquid, a citrus based cleaner and still the spots are there.All ideas welcome - short of re-wallpapering the whole wall as presume the marks will come through a re-paint!
TIA

ebygum1, Jan 27, 4:59am
Try talcum powder,left overnight,then brushed off,or cover with brown paper and apply a not too hot iron. Unfortunatley you may have " fixed " the oil with the methods you have used.

nonumbers, Jan 27, 5:01am
No iron and gravity I expect will see the talc on the floor, but will try - thanks.

lilyfield, Jan 27, 7:14am
Years ago I spilled a bottle of furniture oil on the wall. The drycleaning powder that used to be avaiable then took it all out . No idea if youcan still get the stuff.It came in a spray can to clean coat collars etc.

jezabeel, Jan 27, 9:33am
Thats what you get for using flat paint in a kitchen a big no no!
Theres lots of stain blocking paint to use as a touch up but i would imagine it will be a ongoing issue.

nonumbers, Jan 27, 9:03pm
Well, no, I didn't paint the kitchen one of the previous owners did and some of the marks predate my purchase (7 months ago).Might invest in a glass panel, depends on cost . . .

kp11, Jan 27, 9:09pm
If your into a bit of DIY & the glass panels to much $$$$, a few rows of tiles up the wall as a splashback might be a cheaper option & not hard to do yourself.

nonumbers, Jan 28, 12:40am
Thanks kp - I wouldn't try it myslef - I can't see a straight line to save myself, but I know a man who can.

kp11, Feb 11, 6:54pm
Remind him to seal the grout really well if its next to the stove :)
Dont fancy ya chances of getting fat stains out of wallpaper.