Chainsaw bar oil

Page 1 / 2
sue72, Dec 2, 7:05am
where is the best priced chainsaw bar oil in wellington ?cheers

maclad, Dec 2, 7:22am
Why would you bother there cant be that much difference in price.

sue72, Dec 2, 9:04am
avg 5l is about $40.Have seen 20l for$85

solarboy, Dec 2, 9:49am
Stihl shop Masterton has 20 litres for $75. May not be the same across all branches though. And you'd have seen 1 litre bottles for $13 or $14 or so if you only want enough for an hour or three :-)

masturbidder, Dec 2, 10:12am
I never understood why it is so expensive.

Used engine oil works fine for me.

alfred011, Dec 2, 10:26am
It depends on what sort of chainsaw you have wether it is a small domestic model or a professional large saw,in a domestic saw just use the cheapest 20w40 oil from the warehouse last week it was $15 for 4 litres .

jonners2013, Dec 2, 6:40pm
it's important to lube your bar.

cantabman1, Dec 2, 7:06pm
It depends on how much"tack" is added to the oil.Cheap stuff has little in it so hence the price. The good stuff is Usually sold for around $6 per litre.

mrfxit, Dec 2, 8:14pm
The trouble with waste engine oil is the carbon particle crap (thats the black stuff) & assorted other waste byproducts.
It not only clogs up the oiler pump over time, but also eats away at the diaphram

mrfxit, Dec 2, 8:15pm
Also depends on the work load & frequency of striping & cleaning the saw.

masturbidder, Dec 3, 6:57am
If the oil is good enough to lube my vehicle engine for thousands of km then it should still be okay to go through a chain once; the metal tolerances are much looser.

oliver6, Dec 3, 9:33am
I agree. I have been using waste oil for over 30 years on the same chainsaw and no problems.

alfred011, Dec 3, 10:13am
If its got a diaphragm type oil pump it wouldnt be able to pump proper bar oil,

friendly_prawn, Dec 4, 4:13am
I use waste oil. free. I also know some one who has spent many years working with chain saws. He does the same. Actually I got the idea from him. Whats the point of paying silly money for oil that is only going to end up on the ground? Recycle. Used oil is fine. it only has to lube the bar / chain. Don't have to do it in any sort of spectular fashion. Paying for it is just a waste of $

peacebird15, Dec 4, 7:17am
Waste oil will work great in your car to so long as you dont do to many kms. Never seen anyone who did real hours with a saw use waste oil without eating bars, oilers and chains.
Oil was free but 160 dollar bar and 135 dollar oil pump were not

john7891, Dec 4, 7:20am
I use canola oil - cheap and works fine

friendly_prawn, Dec 4, 9:18am
sorry but you are completely wrong peacebird. Does zero to affect your bar etc. I know, its all I have used for years. If you are that worried about it run it through a filter to strain it first. but there is zero need. I know for a fact this is a common practice for many with zero problem.

snoopy221, Dec 4, 9:23am
Depends entirely on the saw.
re waste oil.
If the wet spot is where ya saw is it ain't handling waste oil. lol

peacebird15, Dec 5, 11:31am
Oh so you were there on those felling jobs. I totally missed you. But then watching a guy using waste oil snap chains and having to dress his bars twice a day when everyone else was doing it about twice a week, and when we all tried it we had to retention the chains a lot more often and found we were using alot more oil, its understandable we might have been distracted.
If you try running waste oil on a 42 to 60 inch bar (and I have) it wont even make it all the way around on the chain in comparison to oil with tack. And although it also can be damaging to the magnesium crankcases and your breathing in something much more carcinogenic im sure its great.

friendly_prawn, Dec 5, 6:14pm
Sorry, on the jobs I'm talking, the chain saws weren't used 24/7 They were used occasionally during the day, but nearly every working day, over periods of years never caused any issues. I'm afraid I don't believe your story above. Never seen a chain break yet due to waste oil. And it is something we have tested over many many years now. I'll go on using waste oil in my chain saw. Works fine and especially for the average home handy man, that perhaps wants to cut a bit of firewood now and again, they will never notice any difference over the life time of their saw. End of story on that one for me.

cantabman1, Dec 5, 7:25pm
Yes, waist oil does work to a point; however, as there is no tack, most of it just flings off into the enviroment. Therefore you are filling up the tank more often.Manufactures are now experimenting on bio friendly alternatives.

shaun16, Dec 6, 2:40am
a lot of people seem to use canola oil. I guess it wouldn't stick to the bar that well but is better for the environment

peacebird15, Dec 6, 10:24am
You dont believe me? thats cool, Im happy to put some skin the game.

I will put a couple grand on the table, you can put half that, we will run 2 of my 3120xp's (or 88's if you prefer), one with waste, one with proper lube. New oregon 75lgx chains and short 28 inch bars (can do 42's but that would be to your disadvantage more to be honest).
You can choose which saw or we could swap when you want. Half days or whole days cutting, then measure chain stretch. Moneys yours if the waste oil chain stretches less than 20% more than that of the proper lubed chains stretch. if its the same I will double your money.
You can choose waste oil from any of my trucks, skidder, car, ute, up to you.
You cant loose
Keen?

http://imgur.com/oYjya4G

Ps cheapest chain lube in wellington is often from levin sawmakers (they deliver), they do 205l and 20's. They had a great deal on 205l drums a few months back, $600.

friendly_prawn, Dec 6, 11:37am
peacebird, hows this sound. i'll use my chain saw that has been using waste oil for years. I'll throw some more waste oil in to it in front of you. I'll spend a few hours cutting firewood in front of you. If it does the job with out wearing out the bar or breaking a chain, , then you give me a grand. IF it wears out or the chain breaks, I'll give you a grand. Hows that sound? We'll have a ref to hold the $.

pixma, Dec 6, 11:38pm
Isn't used oil carcinogenic?