Recommend me a hedge trimmer/chainsaw please?

smiler127, Jan 5, 2:36am
My Black and Decker cordless hedge trimmer is nearing the end of it's life and I'll need to replace it.

I've a large garden and would like to buy something I could use as a heavy duty trimmer for bushes and hedges, but not thick branches that need a chainsaw (OH does that!).

I do have power from the outside of the house and about 50 metres away from outside my shed, but I would still need to run a long extension lead to reach anything.

I've looked at the Ryobi RHT600RLG Mains one for $150 and wonder if anyone recommends it or another brand? The Ryobi isn't as heavy and looks more versatile than the Stihl, which is $200 more expensive.

Alternatively, are there any key/push button start small chainsaws around?

kaylin, Jan 5, 7:50pm
I went to bunnings on the weekend and we are now looking at an extention/attachment bit for our weed eater that converts it to a hedge trimmer. We have a big hedge and it is high, we will cut the top down low using a chainsaw, but I thought using an attachment on an existing power tool might be worth a crack. We used power not petrol for the last hedge trimmer which also just gave up (because it is lighter for me to handle) but the husband thinks he'd like to do it himself now (THANK GOODNESS) so he wants the adaptor one. Ryobi I think the brand is.

rabbitsvilletau, Jan 5, 8:06pm
Yes we brought a ryobi multi head weed eater that you can add hedge cutter, chainsaw, blower to you can also buy longer poles for the higher jobs, we are pleased with our choice.

gwimweeper, Jan 5, 10:04pm
After Consumer magazine recommended it I bought a 450 mm 520 watt Ozito hedge trimmer from Bunnings a couple of years ago.

it is comparatively light (2.6 kg) and I am very happy with it.

smiler127, Jun 20, 9:51am
Awesome I'll look into those suggestions, thanks. Looked at a couple in M10 earlier and one was very heavy!

Mine will be more low down trimming hedging, bushes and shrubs :)