What brand and type of toilet do you recommend

aeromo, Jul 6, 6:27pm
Need to put new one in and there are so many to choose from

rednicnz, Jul 6, 8:08pm
If you're replacing one, then you need to know the set out measurement. Not all toilets are the same!

aeromo, Jul 6, 8:18pm
Ok thanks rednicnz. Yes is a replacement. One I have is 25 years old and in need of renewal. Hole in the floor type

articferrit, Jul 6, 8:40pm
we bought new toilets which are higher (taller) than 'normal', technically they are 'disabled' toilets, needless to say they're great cos were all tall, and definitely get a soft close seat and lid.

geoff_m, Jul 7, 8:16am
Check the distance from the wall to the centre of the drain hole (set out) so the pan is a drop in fit without changing the drainage. They vary, and close coupled suites in particular have very limited adjustability. Also water inlet. Some come from the rear into the cistern (mainly the whizzy back to the wall ones) whereas yours probably comes from underneath. If the water inlet isn’t on the correct side to match yours, check it can be reversed.

aeromo, Jul 7, 8:51am
Oh good tips thanks geoff

lythande1, Jul 7, 2:48pm
Caroma.

harm_less, Jul 7, 4:27pm
Mico do a very nice in-house brand toilet suite. Fully skirted, soft close seat & lid and ceramic cistern. We fitted one as a replacement in our last house and had no hesitation in going for another one here on reno' works. No fitting issues either time (and both p-traps [hole in wall]) so guess they have adjustment available.

tegretol, Jul 8, 12:00am
Make sure you apply for a building permit and get it complied otherwise the Dunny Police will be round with loads of crap for you. Taxinder knows all about that.

ceebee2, Jul 10, 12:56pm

ira78, Jul 10, 1:00pm
Whatever you get, make sure it's a bidet, or put a bidet seat on it.

Your ass will thank me.

pauldw, Jul 10, 1:31pm
It's not all there. Sanitary plumbing is protected work for licensed plumbers unless your region has an exemption that has been Gazetted. AFAIK some of these exemptions are ages old and the plumbing board are probably trying to get rid of them. The PM & partner did some work that would have been ok somwhere else but not where their house was located.

morticia, Jul 10, 1:55pm
We replaced the 30 year old Caroma with basic Dux dual flush cistern and new hoses last year and some Italian brand pan we bought off Tm ages ago. No reconfig necessary. Just had to double check soil pipe floor distance as mentioned and lengths/mounts for cistern hoses.

starseeker, Jul 10, 5:04pm
Try sitting on the seat in the showroom to make sure it is comfortable. A little bit of embarrassment could prevent a bad mistake.

I recently used a new toilet in a friend's house & if I'd been on it longer than it takes for a quick wee I would have had severe lumbar cramp

aeromo, Jul 10, 6:50pm
Yeah had one of those when on hols in Noumea and agree, they are bliss.

pauldw, Jul 10, 7:06pm
Make sure the display models are safe to sit on if you're worried about a little embarrassment. The Wgtn Placemakers has a sign warning against sitting on displays that may not be screwed down.

maclad, Jul 10, 7:12pm
Slightly off topic but I bought a seat and lid for my loo a wee while ago. Soft close which is great specially with the littlies around but mine also had a push button on it enabling the whole seat and lid to be lifted off completely in one movement, meaning I could give under the seat a good and thorough clean easily and quickly. Loved this feature.

supernova2, Jul 11, 9:50am

molly37, Oct 22, 3:01am
We got a squarish shape, really disliked that the bowl itself just isnt as large as older toilets. hence resulting in more cleaning. We also had issues with the size given it is solid to the back which meant we ended up having to move the inlet tap which was more expense and time, argh. Oh and of course if its the right trap, an S or P if i recall. Soft close is great too.