How to stop birds eating my lawn seed.

kakariki57, Nov 2, 7:26pm
I laid the (coated) lawn seed down on Saturday and a flock of yellow finches are eating it like there's no tomorrow. I laid down bird netting but that hasn't worked. Has anyone used the holographic tape?

melford, Nov 2, 9:34pm
Did you cover the seed with a thin layer of soil? If you did then you will need to put pegs around the area and attach string onto which you have either tied supermarket bags or thread through the line old cd's or tinfoil tied on in strips. Dont forget don't let the seed dry out at all until it strikes. No I haven't tried the bird tape as I have found the above suggestions successful

smallwoods, Nov 2, 10:02pm
Most seed is coated with bird repellant.

kakariki57, Nov 3, 6:01am
I know. But these little yellow birds (Finches?) don't seem to be bothered by it.

kakariki57, Nov 3, 6:02am
Thank you nanee. I'll give it a go.

starseeker, Nov 3, 7:24pm
Spot on, works well

atlantis3, Nov 3, 9:12pm
I see that the suggestion of using a thin layer of soil is a good idea. I use a cheap compost from the warehouse.
Works really well on an existing lawn for bear patches too as i find the soil can kill the existing grass. When the seed is covered by the compost thinly it also retains the moisture. Just only use the sprinkler for several minutes as you can wash the seed away if too much irritation is used

sla11, Nov 4, 3:21pm
Birds nowadays are just so used to "us mere mortals" I reckon they aren't scared of us or our tricks at all.

strathview, Nov 4, 4:43pm
We used the coated seed and the birds went nuts on it. Anyway they ate so much of it I had to resow the grass seed. Used an uncoated seed the next time and not a bird to be seen and had a great strike rate. Lesson learnt.

kandjaja, Nov 7, 12:51pm
Readylawn.
Birds wont eat ReadyLawn.

frank1, Nov 7, 9:13pm
#7--yep irritation can be a prob!--irrigation is ok tho

schnauzer11, Nov 7, 11:28pm
nanee, you speak of 'supermarket bags'. I have heard of these but what sorcery should I use to have them materialise? Please advise.

kakariki57, Nov 8, 10:28am
The plastic bags didn't bother them. The holographic Bird Scare tape didn't frighten them. Neither did a holographic owl with bells on it. I'm conceding defeat and buying a bird feeder. If I can't beat them, I may as well try and distract them.

fatdat, Nov 8, 2:51pm
Tie a cat to a stake, don't forget to feed it and let it off after dark.

kakariki57, Nov 8, 4:36pm
Haha. Love it!

wfl1, Nov 9, 3:45pm
Poison wheat available from most good Farm supply stores

gonefishing16, Nov 9, 4:43pm
Thunder & Lightening here in Akld 1 min ago - I was brought up with them - animals are frightened.

gonefishing16, Nov 9, 4:47pm
I meant to say I know thunder & lighting - count to 7 between - well, it has moved on aand gave us the rain in Auckland.
I hope and wish noone is frightened.

gonefishing16, Nov 9, 4:50pm
It is a normal occurrence in Germany where I was born but not normal to Kiwiland. Anyone ca explain why in NZ please?

tegretol, Nov 9, 5:15pm
No, no, no. DON'T feed the cat. If it's got a bellyfull of food it won't be interested in the birds.

kakariki57, Sep 9, 4:14pm
Haha. You guys are a hoot! The bird feeder was the perfect distraction as it turns out. So I may get some grass grown after all.