Helping the birds in the drought

moore., Mar 12, 9:54am
grated apple!orange!water!

eddienz, Mar 12, 9:55am
water and suger

les6, Mar 12, 5:39pm
shotgun.they have been helping themselves from everything around here,plums,peachs,pears,green granny smith apples,even avocados with tomato!

koru67, Mar 12, 6:11pm
Pear, banana, raisins, seeds, orange, sugar water - all on my bird feeder daily and they love it. The tuis love the orange too.

rsr72, Mar 12, 7:51pm
My tomatoes, apple trees, and grape vines, keeping them all going and the Rosellas in the tree just meld in when chomping on the apples .

tigra, Mar 12, 8:59pm
I read recently that some birds (Tuis particularly) love bananas so I carefully nailed some to a fence top and not a bird came near them. We have large bush areas around us and I do notice some birds which normally left some trees alone are changing their feeding habits. However sparrows seem to be the ones missing out so I try to put water and food out for them.

rsr72, Mar 12, 9:40pm
#6- They are changing their habits. Our two tuis never ever go near our fruit trees, but they're busily eating our apples on the tree this year, as are most others.

stevee6, Mar 12, 10:13pm
Just providing water at present as there is plenty of fruit, seeds and bugs for them, and the tuis have gone elsewhere as the nectar plants have finished for the season.

trader_84, Apr 13, 5:45pm
Yeah - this except we use a .22 Slug. Wack them in between coffee's through the ranchslider in the mornings. Pricks.