How to stop birds pecking

reeb, Feb 12, 5:25am
at tomatos and cucumbers!

nchun, Feb 12, 5:27am
Bird Netting is the only answer!

benden, Feb 12, 8:14pm
I am growing a bumper crop of dwarf tomatos (12 plants) and have not had one bird peck! Just have two old CDs supported by string over the crop.

kamitchell, Feb 12, 8:29pm
Always heard of the CD trick, lost 1/2 our apples on 1 trees to birds. Hung up some CD's and not another one touched so I'm now a believer.

veejay13, Feb 12, 10:29pm
Bird netting is probably the best answer, but try putting out a container of water for them.Always in a dry season the birds tend to go for the ripe fruit to quench their thirst.

korbo, Feb 12, 10:38pm
yep, find the CD's work and old net curtaining strung around the posts.
tomatoes still ripen thru.

benden, Feb 21, 3:26am
I can not totally endorse the CDs. Spectacular result. Not a single bird peck on a bumper crop of tomatoes and even our strawberries are totally spared. Have noticed that there is an absence of larger birds in the yard also, like minahs, starlings etc. Almost only sparrows. The cheeky ones!

newpenny1, Feb 21, 3:42am
Yes after trying other methods CDS are the best not one peck try the ones with the very shiny blue undersides I think they were for recording music as everyone now uses data sticks you can buy real cheap at Warehouse.

lythande1, Mar 17, 1:01am
CDs etc.birds are actually very smart creatures. Once they figure out it's a static object moved about by the breeze they ignore them.
We have Mynahs, thrushes, waxeyes, sparrows, the lot.cat keeps them away from my garden. If I want to feed them I have to put it up on the garage roof, cat can't be bothered up there, too hot.