Tomatoes being eaten by birds - help

sah5, Jan 25, 7:04am
My tomatoes are being eaten by birds and I have hardly been able to get any to eat. So I put netting over to keep them away but the netting is keeping out the bees, so not pollinating. Only have bumble bees around and they are too big to get through the netting. Any suggestions on what else to do to save the tomatoes from the birds.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 25, 7:21am
Pick early, ripen on windowsill, and get a cat. But don't tell Gareth.

sah5, Jan 25, 7:31am
Got a cat who gets bullied by the birds! Gareth hasn't found it yet!

claire192, Jan 25, 8:45am
Tomatoes don't need bees to polinate. The wind will do it.

malone4, Jan 25, 8:46am
well i use old cd's tied to string and hang them on my cherry tree's.
tends to do the trick. you could try it on your toms!

gardie, Jan 25, 5:25pm
Hang strips of tin foil above the bunches of tomatoes - birds hate the noise and movement.I must say though, like most 'scare away' things, it only works until they get used to it.One year I put netting over the plants - it stopped the birds for a bit but then they worked out they could get under the netting and still ate all of the cherry tomatoes!

lythande1, Jan 25, 6:07pm
You don't need bees for tomatoes, they pollinate by wind. Or vibration, flick the flowers if there is no breeze.

illusion_, Jan 25, 10:54pm
foil, cd's, whatever . you name it and I have tried it, apart from netting which for me is impractical. The birds learn that it is not going to harm them

the answer of course is to beat the birds to them. pick as soon as they start to show any pink, and ripen them inside . they done even need to be in full sun, so long as they get good daylight

rsr72, Jan 25, 11:30pm
Drought conditions- ground dry and hard and birds attempting to get food and moisture wherever they can.

sah5, Jan 26, 7:57am
Thanks all, for you suggestions and help, will try the cd and tinfoil next. Good to know that wind pollination will do the job too. . Many thanks.

minn1, Jan 26, 2:35pm
I discovered a lovely big fat thrush absolutly gorging himself on a tomato I had been watching and looking forward to sampling as it was a variety I'd not grown before. Was horrified and then found the remnants of 2 more! I'v never had this problem before,so have tied a cd which flaps around, but also popped some lengths of a scraggly silver tinsel on the frames, and so far this seems to be helping. But am not leaving them to get too ripe,have to admit,and getting them inside all safe to ripen. Had always been told that vine ripened was the only way to get full flavour,so was reluctant, but am happy to find that is not the case

lythande1, Jan 26, 6:51pm
Birds are quite smart you know. They don't take long to figure out an inanimate object isn't going to do anything to them.

ted410, Jan 27, 6:38pm
I agree ,this is the easiest way to deal with the problem ,the birds dont seem to show inerest until theres a touch of colour on the fruit

edenrose, Jan 28, 12:34pm
I read that stones painted red fool birds, so they won't eat the strawberries.I wonder if I could use the same idea to get the birds to leave the tomatoes alone.(The idea is they peck the stones, find they are inedible and give up pecking them, before the strawberries are actually around.)

..pip.., Jan 28, 9:32pm
My Mum always suggests putting out plenty of water for the wild birds, that they eat fruit for their water content not so much as a food source.

hazedaze, Jan 28, 9:42pm
I wish that worked for me :(I have a concrete birdbath in my vege area, but the birds will still strip anything that isn't protected.Tenacious little critters!

wheelz, Feb 14, 8:56am
Quite agree, never found that CDs or silver ribbon deterred many at all. Well covered, no holes or gaps what-so-ever, with bird netting is the only way.