Replace underfloor metal foil?

Page 1 / 4
aredwood, Jun 29, 10:21pm
Any idea what the R value of that gib board with the foil is Vs gib without the foil? This is in a house that was consented 1979.

johotech, Jun 30, 8:26am
You should really stop commenting on topics you have no clue about.

Rental property owners and managers will be measuring their properties and using the MBIE Heating Assessment tool to check compliance.

https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/heating-tool/

shanreagh, Jun 30, 9:06am
That is a useful guide even for mere mortals living in their own homes,,,,,Thanks

tweake, Jun 30, 10:53am
attacking people is just such a feral response how about proving i'm wrong ?

you know as well as i do that they are doing nothing more than tick the box compliance checking.
eg has it got the correct bathroom fan installed? yes tick.
but do they actually test it to see that it flows the required air flow? no.
its not uncommon to get badly installed products which do absolutely nothing, yet it gets signed off.

bergkamp, Jul 3, 9:40am
So you are saying landlords/managers need to engage professional heating/ventilation consultants/engineers , fantastic- how much is that going to cost?

What we need is less consultants and more common sense ,this stuff isn't the rocket science like some opinionated people make it out to be

tweake, Jul 3, 12:16pm
i didn't say that.

all i'm pointing out is there is these "inspectors" are claiming they "measure homes for heating and ventilation," when they are not. at best they are box ticking compliance checking, they don't actually measure anything to check that anything is working as claimed.
there is a few articles in the media with complaints about these "inspectors" screwing over landlords.

btw you do not need consultants/engineers to properly test homes.
eg in usa its required in a lot of areas so its just another tradie doing a job.

golfaholic2, Jul 3, 4:59pm
I believe it was Branz who pulled the pin on foil backed Gib . tho I have come across it this side of 2000 ,,closer 2010 I thing , so it was still being made.
It was discontinued for the same reason you mentioned re the under floor foil .

golfaholic2, Jul 3, 5:02pm
It wouldnt be much . it would be better at keeping the heat out at a guess
That said , keep in mind - double glazing is around R0.25 or less .
So it all helps

golfaholic2, Jul 3, 5:05pm
Retrofitting or repairing . but not installing new ?
Damn sure my consented plans for a large addition to my home in 2009 had foil underfloor . I didnt use it in the end . went R2.6 batt over R1.8 poly . may as well do it right first time lol

trade4us2, Jul 3, 5:08pm
In 1992 I was told that I HAD to use Gibfoil on all outside walls and ceilings.

martin11, Jul 4, 9:11am
Gib Foil was not being made around in 96-97 well gone by then .

pauldw, Jul 4, 9:30am
"This ban is declared from 1 July 2016."

tweake, Jul 4, 9:47am
builders telling you BS. they probably got a load of it cheap to get rid of.
its an advantage to them as they don't have to install batt insulation which was the norm back then. (foil only works if you have an air gap, so its on the wrong side for keeping heat in, its only good for keeping heat out).

a bit like my place, it looks like they used all the left overs from the 70's.

trade4us2, Jul 4, 10:29am
No, I had an architect, and regular visits from the council building inspector. And insulation was installed. That was all in the stupid building code at the time.
I paid for all the materials and paid the builders only for their labour.

martin11, Jul 4, 10:42am
Doubt that you could actually buy gib foiled gib in '92

tweake, Jul 4, 10:47am
i was working on building sites in the 90's and i never saw one house with foil backed gib.
so i highly doubt it was a legal requirement (never saw it in 80's houses either). also the foil does not work if you fill the wall with insulation.
keep in mind that building inspectors are also the builders mates (especially in the 90's) so i suspect you got taken for a ride.
sadly that sort of crap still happens today.

trade4us2, Jul 4, 12:30pm
Clearly you are entirely wrong. I have the receipts.

pauldw, Jul 4, 12:47pm
I know a relative that had a house built mid 92 in Wellington that had Gibfoil.

martin11, Jul 4, 2:36pm
Gib foil was not around in '96 I was running a Gib Francise in Chch then . Also built my own home in Blenheim in 1982 and it was not available then .

bergkamp, Jul 4, 3:21pm
We installed plenty of foil backed gib in the early 90s, on tilt slabs which were strapped with thin battens , no poly no Batts, christchurch

pauldw, Jul 4, 3:24pm
Maybe you got what was made in Christchurch.

tweake, Jul 4, 3:34pm
this is what makes me suspect there was stock piles of it sitting around that they could not sell, so do the old dodgy and force it onto customers.

martin11, Jul 4, 4:17pm
Gib foil was a 1970's product ! Winstones in Chch stopped making it in the late 70's

pauldw, Jul 4, 10:12pm
They probably couldn't talk insulation in the South Island with a straight face. The North Island factory could have continued.

eljayv, Jul 5, 10:47am
Healthy homes had that covered . They say that stuff is illegal now and will come in and remove it then replace with better insulation. We had it done fairly recently.