Replace underfloor metal foil?

Page 4 / 4
tweake, Jul 26, 6:36pm
not what blueviking was saying. "measure homes for heating and ventilation", installing is somewhat different to "measure", hence why i asked.

edit: also ventilation requirements for homes is not just kitchen and bathroom fans.

nzshooter01, Jul 26, 7:35pm
that msybe so
but whats that got to do with foil insulation?

eljayv, Jul 26, 9:12pm
How do people find out about this?

bill1451, Jul 26, 9:32pm
same could be said about asbestos or indeed just about any of the almost non existant building codes.
Where a man with a hammer and a saw could and did build almost anything and in many cases did a good job, however since CHCH earhquakes we have seen the rise and sometimes fall of "cowboyism"

solarboy, Jul 27, 12:28am
Yes. I was quoted a sum recently for fitting underfloor insulation and the removal of the foil was included as an essential.

solarboy, Jul 27, 12:32am
My 150 sq m. 1993 house was going to cost me thousands just for the underfloor quote some months ago so I said 'No'. I need to do some research methinks.

blueviking, Jul 27, 6:41am
Every living space in the house must have a minimum of 5% airflow. You "measure" this by measuring the square meterage of openable windows and doors in that particular room,this is then divided by the square meterage of the room multiplied by 100.This figure must exceed 5%.

wasgonna, Jul 27, 8:42am
Most insulation companies would be part of the scheme. Mine was comfortmaster.co.nz (NZ-wide) or 0800 000798.

I must point out that I already had the black poly laid on the ground so this would be extra if you don't have it.

tweake, Jul 27, 9:34am
if i remember right thats the minimum code the house is built to anyway.
it also doesn't apply if you have mechanical ventilation.

but the big thing is that your not actually measuring the ventilation flow, your measuring window size.
eg a lot of homes still have the minimum required air flow (often more than that) with all the windows and doors shut.

blueviking, Jul 28, 6:50am
All we're doing, is what MBIE states and the tenancy tribunal will rule on.Any other questions, ask MBIE and you'll find they can't answer most questions.

tweake, Jul 28, 1:33pm
exactly.
your not " measure homes for heating and ventilation".
thats just PR for looking like your doing something when your not really there to solve the issue at hand.

blueviking, Jul 28, 6:28pm
Read my previous posts, re landlords. They have to have this completed and on the tenancy website by December 2020. It's not a PR exercise, it's a Govt directive. The company I work for looks after 80 odd rentals and 56 need "a fixed heating device" to be installed.

tweake, Jul 28, 6:37pm
your compliance checking, not "measuring heating and ventilation".
i doubt you even know how to measure them properly.

blueviking, Jul 29, 6:22am
Why not just go to the website and check it out, rather than just saying we're not doing it properly.Maybe, you might learn something.

tweake, Jul 29, 10:22am
touchy.
how about you stop trying to BS people that your actually "measuring" or doing anything remotely scientific, when all your doing is box ticking for compliance.

the stupid thing here is it really doesn't matter if they pass or fail your "measuring" as it has no real world meaning.
for eg most homes in nz pass minimum ventilation flow rates with no opening windows anyway simply because they are so air leaky.
consequently any heating
"measurements" are a mile out because you guys don't take ventilation into account.

so in real world practicalities your whole job is pretty much just a waste of time and effort. you only have to do it to please the clueless govt.

so please stop calling it "measuring" when its only compliance checking.

blueviking, Jul 29, 6:12pm
And the clueless govt (as you call them) has the power to fine any errant landlords that don't get this done $5000. And clued up tenants the chance to get all their rent paid(back) if landlords are non compliant. And there are tenants out there that will be up to speed with these regulations and look at how to make some money.

apollo11, Oct 11, 1:15pm
It's utterly pointless measuring windows when tenants never open them anyway. Our old bungalow had such gappy floorboards that you could see the carpet lift in heavy wind. Fixed by installing underfloor poly.