Underfloor Insulation

pestri, Dec 19, 3:01am
Anybody had it done, are you satisfied with the results!Would carpet be a better option!

golfaholic2, Dec 19, 5:37am
From experience,do the rooms with no carpet/underlay first .we noticed a MASSIVE difference doing this .putting it under the areas with C/U made no noticable difference

lyingnun, Dec 19, 5:40am
Underfloor insulation made a massive difference in both the homes I have had it installed in. I highly recommend it.

tamsim, Dec 19, 6:42am
yep its great. greenstar have a 50% off deal at the mo.

suie1, Dec 19, 7:53am
Black Plastic on the ground under the house is often enough as long as you do the whole house.

tamsim, Dec 19, 9:43am
hmm not sure about the above. This lead to mould etc as you are reducing air flow over the dirt.

dagon1, Dec 21, 1:23am
yeah when i got quotes for the roof and underneath to get done energy smart said that need to be done and they expected me to clear rocks and wood underneath lol . they were the most expensive even with a community services card $5500 for roof and under neath .ended up getting it all done for $700 roof and underneath and got the green eco stuff no black plastic as i to got told it needs to breath .will have to wait till next winter to feel the real benefit as only got it in near the end of this winter.

favouriteseller, Dec 21, 4:55am
whilst it may seem obvious, please be aware guys
if installing underfloor insulation yourself that requires stapling or nailing
you need to take note ofwhere the electrical cables are
poeple have died from stapling through electrical cables and many more have recieved electrical shocks, from inattention to the finer details of installation

t_naki, Dec 22, 12:50am
lol, and Briscoes are having a sale.

Best rush in now while stocks last!

mansonprincess, Dec 22, 9:08am
i totally recommend paying a professional to do it, yes it cost more but we got it done and are totally satisified with how it looks and what it is doing, would have never got it the way it is if we had done ourselves

t_naki, Dec 22, 10:51am
In case you are questioning my sarcasm.

Never measure prices on how much "discount" you get, measure your prices on how much they will do the job for. The start price is not a measure and can easily be moved up in order to offer a large discount. I could say that I will offer you a discount of 5000% to insulate your house.

What does that mean!

Absolutely nothing!

maitai2, Dec 29, 7:26am
We had underfloor insulation installed this year (as a condition of getting the subsidy on a Heat Pump) and we are very impressed with it. It is called InsulPro NOVAfloor High Density Polyester Underfloor Insulation.The great thing about it is that it is a recycled product and comes in the form of a batt which can be squeezed between the joists so that it stays there of its own accord and there are no air gaps (as could possibly occur with polystyrene type materials).It was installed very quickly (in about 4 hours) and was free of any messy cleanup.

venna2, Dec 29, 7:42pm
My own younger son lost his life when he was electrocuted while putting up underfloor insulation at his home. He was one of three home handymen killed in exactly the same way that year. Now at least there are warning signs on the insulation material but it came too late for these fine men. I was with him that afternoon and there was absolutely no indication that what he was doing could be dangerous.

mike355, Dec 29, 9:16pm
t_naki wrote:
In case you are questioning my sarcasm.

Never measure prices on how much "discount" you get, measure your prices on how much they will do the job for. The start price is not a measure and can easily be moved up in order to offer a large discount

Unfortunately people get sucked in by the offer of a discount. Our local council (Manawatu District Council) is using the incentive of a $3.2million subsidy to con each ratepayer into spending $9775 for something they don't actually need (Himatangi Beach sewerage). The people have been told, if they don't sign up by the 4th of January 2013, they will have to pay $18,500, as they will miss out on the subsidy. The council has also been telling us that we will be forced to join (by another council, Horizons)as a result of local body rules (the One Plan). So plenty of people here have been well and truly conned into joining as they don't want to miss out on the subsidy. How dumb is that. They will end up paying $9775 for something they don't need and their rates will increase by a minimum of 30% to maintain the new sewerage.

tillsbury, Jan 6, 12:51am
That's terribly sad, venna2, and I can understand how easy it is to do.Even if you're very careful it is remarkably easy to lose your coordination while under the floor and forget which beam the wire was on.

In response to OP, yes definitely do it.I always put the fluffy stuff and then the foil-backed plastic underneath houses, have done five or so recently.In Canterbury, Control Insulation do the entire job for me for about the same price as the material alone so I would never consider doing it myself again -- it's an awful job!