Water pipe insulation

jonners2013, Jun 23, 7:59pm
i want to put some of that foam insulating tube over my water pipes both to minimize the chance of them freezing and also to save water heating energy.

my bathroom was recently renovated, with new water piping (that flexible grey pipe they use). is the standard size of that pipe 20mm?

pauldw, Jun 23, 8:04pm
It can be either 15 or 20mm.

carter19, Jun 23, 9:55pm
Pipe can be 15 or 20mm. If you go to mico or plumbing world, they will have what you need. Dont be surprised at the cost.

trade4us2, Jun 24, 10:41am
I bought both sizes from Mitre10. They didn't seem expensive.

jonners2013, Jun 24, 10:38pm
yeah looks to be 3-4 bucks for a meter length (depending on size) from bunnings. doesn't seem expensive at all.

thanks guys, i'll double check the diameter of my pipe before i purchase some.

carter19, Jun 24, 10:40pm
Tis if you want to do the whole house

jonners2013, Jun 25, 1:05am
True.

I'll be retrofitting it so obviously only going to do accessible pipes. I'll start by just doing the hot water pipes, to save electricity and also to boost the temp of the water coming out of the taps. That may allow me to wind back the temp at the cylinder a little.

timbo69, Dec 6, 7:10pm
The only real benefit would be the added resistance to freezing. the energy saving is very minimal. The temperature drop wouldn't be much while flowing, It will save a little more if you are turning the hot tap on and off regularly - like every 10-15 minutes as you wont have to refill you pipe with hot water as it will stay warmer longer.