Ceiling insulation for tight crawl space

weta1000, Jul 11, 11:11pm
Hi, Has anyone suggestions for ceiling insulation for a house with a low pitched roof? We can't crawl round up there and have had a couple of insulation companies come around and they have just said it is against OSH regulations for anyone to go in there. Our two options seem to be to get the blow in stuff which I've heard isn't effective for long, or to get the iron lifted and put it in from the top which I'm a bit loathe to do as we had troubles with a leaking ceiling that is fixed now. Has anyone had experience with either? 4 degrees in lounge this morning and ice on inside of windows!

andrewcg53, Jul 11, 11:19pm
Lift roof iron and replace any sheets with signs of rust, do it once do it right.

golfdiver, Jul 12, 4:09am
Pretty unlikely to get a satisfactory result removing and reinstalling a four degree roof.

wasgonna, Jul 12, 4:37am
Who said anything about a four degree roof. Try reading again . slowly.

golfdiver, Jul 12, 4:56am
My bad, it is low pitched, could be even less than 4

weta1000, Jul 12, 6:02am
Are you saying that the insulation wouldn't even work properly with a low pitched roof?

golfdiver, Jul 12, 6:08am
No, I'm saying trying to take off an old roof and putting it back on is fraught with potential problems, especially at low pitch .

sooby, Jul 13, 9:08am
We had same problem, used an installer listed on trade me that blew in sheeps wool. Fantastic result, house was so much warmer afterwards

weta1000, Jul 13, 9:19pm
Thanks Sooby, it sounds that like that may be our best option.

hiau57, Jul 13, 11:02pm
Don't know if it will work for you but we used a garden rake to get to the far end of our flat roof. Took awhile to get the action right but got there in the end. Only problem is we left rake up there lol. Was only cheap plastic thing.

sooby, Jul 14, 9:18am
glad I could help!

and hiau57 a rake is genius idea, will have to store that idea away for future use

weta1000, Jul 15, 6:13am
When the roof leaked we used my sons toy robotic arm to put containers out near to the edge!
I don't think a rake would do it all anyway, I would have to belly crawl length of house squeezing over beams and dragging insulation. I just don't think I could handle it even if I could fit through the gaps, probably end up panicking and falling through the ceiling.
I think I'll get a quote for blow in wool and hope its reasonable.

tibby1947, Jul 16, 5:19am
weta1000 - blow in wool, only way to go in confined spaces. We had that done 20 years ago and although maybe not getting right into the narrow bits it was effective. 5 years ago roof finally had to be replaced so then we had the pink batts installed.

pogram0, Jul 16, 8:02am
I had my Insulfluff removed a couple of years ago and Insulpro pumped in soon after. It is about 18 inches thick so cannot see why it would not be effective. The product does not absorb water so if there are any drips coming through the corrugated iron roof then it will just sit on top and dry with the warmth of the air up in the roof space.

tweake, Nov 21, 4:54pm
not 100% sure which product you have, i suspect its polyester. if so it does absorb water. only one that doesn't is polystyrene.