Ceiling - decorative plaster

12knights1, Jun 21, 8:24pm
DIY tips on google and YouTube.

Advisable to get asbestos test.

Then need to purchase protective clothing and gear to moisten and remove. Plus plastic sheeting to protect carpet/ furniture etc. Dispose correctly. Have a neck masseur handy too!

biggles45, Jun 21, 9:06pm
Spray water onto it from a small spray bottle (spray a small area at a time), it will then scrape off easily with a paint scraper. Put tarps or similar on the floor of course to protect flooring or carpet. I did whole house and it came off so cleanly I could just wipe it down and paint.

pete48, Jun 22, 6:41am
Sheesh, 65 year old female DIYer. Pretty poor advise so far. Would definitely get tested first then follow on after test results. If asbestos, not a job for DIY with water and overalls and plastic sheets, and what to do with it afterward. Peter

cranto, Jun 22, 9:29am
Don't worry about asbestos if your 65 won't really matter now

brighteyes16, Jun 24, 10:46am
Do you know when it was done. If after 1990 you can safely say it won't have any asbestos in it and testing would be a wast of money.

westown123, Jul 18, 2:03am
How do I remove decorative plaster from a ceiling, 65 year old female!
Need to be rid of it in order for paint to be applied?

atlantis3, Dec 8, 3:17pm
You may want to get this test this for asbestos first. Look in yellow pages or Google for someone close to you or you can post a small sample to a lab that does the test.