Anyone know how to plaster front steps

joe12, Jan 25, 5:22am
Hi, I'm painting the house and will at some stage have to paint the front steps buta lot of the plaster has come off the top step and some of the middlestep, is it a easy job to fix ! Do I have to take all the old plaster off and rear plaster and then paint, what's the name of the plaster you buy for plastering steps, I've never pasted steps before, thanks for any help.

zak410, Jan 25, 6:30am
Mortar plaster, even Rapid set concrete,
depends on damage.

eezy1, Jan 25, 6:56am
if the old plaster is drummy then you will need to chip it off,you can buy premixed bags of plaster ( sand and cement ) now days but you may need to mix a bit of glue in with it to bond it to the old concrete.Mix some up pretty wet and brush it on first as a tack coat then just trowle the rests on smooth lightly sponge the surface after.

joe12, Jan 25, 8:13am
Thanks for the help, that should make the job got a bit better thanks heaps

ae64, Jan 25, 9:42am
Eezy1 is on the right track. the glue u wanna use is pva based -brush it on the area you intend to fix and wait until tacky before you put plaster on.You can add pva to plaster until it also goes tacky but beware as it becomes difficult to work -make sure you use a fine graded sand.You will have to paint as you will never match perfectly.Sometimes a paintbrush will help blend into the existing plaster as well as a sponge

joe12, Jan 25, 6:35pm
Thanks, I think one of the reasons why theplaster cracked and is falling to bits Is because I sell vinyl rolls that I sometimes have to wheel out onto the front steps each roll of vinyl is a 100 kg.I'm just wondering why have plaster at all, what's the process if I wanted to turn the steps into concret! Do you just hammer the old plaster and then scrap it off and then paint over the concret underneath! I'm sure we use to live in a house that had concret steps and the steps looked ok all they needed was a paint every ten years,

eezy1, Jan 25, 7:39pm
hard to say with out seeing them,alot of steps were boxed and poured concrete and the finish was not so good hence the reason they were plastered to bring them up to level/smoothish

elect70, Jan 26, 5:05am
Just had mine done , heused athinwet cement mix first, then stiffmortar mixcheaper & easier than buying sand & cement & hiring a mixer, told to slightlywet surfacefor 2 days after too .

joe12, Jan 27, 2:28am
Yep I like that ideathanks will have a think about those options some, at this stage have to get on with the painting the house an save the steps for last :-)

4abargin, Feb 10, 5:15pm
yip