Repairing plastic tank with metal frame

smiler127, Mar 16, 8:15pm
It's one of those square tanks with a metal frame round, not sure of the exact name for them but like auction # 571328663.
It has a hole in that's too big for silicone sealant. What can I use to repair and make it water tight please! It's not for drinking water.

mm12345, Mar 16, 8:57pm
They are usually called Schutz containers or IBCs (Intermediate Bulk Containers).
The tank itself is usually polyethylene -normal glue and sealant won't stick to it.
If the leak/hole is in a flat area on the tank, it might be easiest to cut the holes to size and use some kind of plumbing fitting from a hardware shop which screws up tight on seals - or make something yourself to do that.
If it's on a corner etc, plastic welding might be the only way to fix it.

smiler127, Mar 16, 9:20pm
Thanks mm. Plastic welding is way out of my league, but I'll look at a stopper or something similar. The hole/crack maybe too big for that :(. Seems such a shame to dump it though.
Thanks again.

gorsegully, Mar 17, 2:52am
Cut a patch out of some other plastic eg ice cream container and try glueing it with "no nails" or similar

d.snell, Mar 17, 5:40am
or a rubber grommet as used in the auto industry, I've seen these up to about 2" in diameter.

trade4us2, Mar 17, 6:18am
If the hole is on a flat bit I think you should put a bolt through from the inside, with a rubber washer on it. It is possible to do that if you are clever enough!

ro42, Mar 17, 6:52am
flashing tape. I have some that I used to repair a watering can very successfully :)

smiler127, Mar 17, 9:08am
Thanks for the great suggestions. It's going to be good to repair and use this to get the rainwater off the shed roof.

hammer23, Apr 22, 2:47am
Great stuff,it saves the world on a daily basis.