Cutting through metal of broken outdoor furniture

wendalls, Apr 14, 2:32pm
I need to dispose of big outdoor furniture setting sun damaged rattan. I have a ryobi circular saw in my possession. Could I get a metal cutting blade and chop it all up for easier disposal? Anyone done this?

lilyfield, Apr 14, 2:59pm
I would

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 14, 4:26pm
Are the frames damaged? Because if not, reweaving with parachute cord makes for another several years use. Might even be worth popping them on the verge for a rehoming, and save you the work.

wendalls, Apr 15, 1:32pm
I would prefer to recycle but it's a huge set! And looks complicated. Where do you get parachute cord? I shall google it.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 15, 1:39pm
I did my white solid resin outdoor chairs two years ago, cost about fifty dollars with white parachute cord from here. Wasn't hard to do after a couple of false starts, and doesn't look too bad. And it has lasted - I think the frames will go before the cord! Mine are outdoors all year round and get a touch of green in wet weather, but it is easily spray cleaned off.

It is way cheaper than a new set!

wendalls, Apr 15, 1:46pm
Hmm. I really love the design but the dog ripped many of the cushion covers too so it's a big repair job and I'm good at starting and never finishing. It is really fat and doing one chair would probably kill me but maybe I could try with one chair seeing as it's so comfy.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 15, 2:42pm
Then check out Briscoes or KMart for seat cushions to go over the parachute cord weave.

I did mine because they were so comfy. And I am a cheapskate.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1524594545.jpg

wendalls, Apr 15, 9:51pm
Oh that's cool but mine would be 5 x the work and cost! It's a huge armchair . standard cushions wouldn't fit

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 16, 9:55am
Then maybe recycling might be the best option, but I would try kerbside, or even listing here for a giveaway start price before you get out the grinder. Save yourself some hard work!

I am a fan of 'lazy'.

tegretol, Apr 19, 10:26am
NO NO NO - not a circular saw blade. You need a hand-held grinder with a 1mm cutting disk and a very good pair of safety goggles.

onl_148, Apr 19, 11:16am
An angle grinder is the answer.
If your circular saw has a plastic blade guard, then the hot sparks from a metal cutting blade will melt the guard !
It maybe just thin wall tube. a pair of bolt cutters could do the trick.

geoff_m, Apr 20, 6:25am
Put them on freecycle or Facebook marketplace to take away if you don't want to fix them.

manic_boy, Jul 28, 12:12pm
I've used a reciprocating saw with metal cutting blade to cut up outdoor furniture before. Great for any demolition job. I'd imagine a circular saw would be harder to control and so more dangerous. Wear gloves/googles/earmuffs.