Cutting a hole in Hardieboard

rua69, Apr 3, 12:19pm
Hi, I’m trying to install a cat door in Hardieboard, and man it’s hard going! Both drilling and using a jigsaw with a blade for cutting ceramic are only making a mess of things. I’ve had by far the best result with the metal saw of a Swiss Army knife. But it’s being blunted. What else can I use? I’d like to get the job finished as soon as I can.

tweake, Apr 3, 12:33pm
i assume you cutting into fibrolite. i used a circle cutter with an appropriate bit.
takes ages as it was a cheap one that basically scraped rather than cut. but end result is nice round 150mm holes.

martin11, Apr 3, 12:33pm
How old is the Hardiboard ,I normally cut the modern one with a jig saw with a standard blade in it . Sure it is not the old asbestoes board that is a lot harder .

rua69, Apr 3, 12:45pm
I think I mean fibrolite. Fibre cement board anyway. It’s too new to have asbestos in it. The jigsaw lurches all over the place and makes a mess of the back, and I can’t control its speed.

The hole saw sounds interesting. But wouldn’t I then need a glass adapter for the door? I may as well get some to install it in a window then. I was hoping to avoid that!

gettinggrey, Apr 3, 12:58pm
I've cut through (a circle about 125mm diameter) by first drilling a hole as a start point, then using a few hacksaw blades bolted together side by side to form a 'sort of' cutting file thing. A couple of blades facing forward and a couple facing backwards so it cuts coming or going.
Nothing fancy. just wrapped a bit of old rag around as a handle. Works quite quickly.

pauldw, Apr 3, 1:21pm
Does your cat door need a round hole or something else?

rua69, Apr 3, 2:47pm
I did as you suggested with some mini hacksaw blades taped together, then found that using just one was even quicker. The door is now installed. Thanks!

sparkyz, Apr 3, 2:53pm
Hope you used a mask?

rua69, Apr 3, 3:19pm
Umm-bee-dum no. A slight breeze blew the dust away from my direction. mostly, I think.

kenw1, Apr 3, 4:16pm
i use a blunt hole saw to mark out the circle, and give some sort of a line to follow, then a 5 or 6mm carbide drill to drill a ring of holes, then it just pushes out normally, may need a bot of hole joining up, the file the hole smooth an round,

rua69, Apr 3, 4:21pm
Btw I needed to make a large square hole not a circular one.

toyboy3, Apr 3, 4:42pm
Square cat huh ! I guess that you give it a square meal .

rua69, Apr 3, 4:47pm
Lol. He’s been living inside for the last two weeks and with all his square meals and minimal exercise he has become rather round! I’m hoping the new square cat door will help reduce his roundness.

skull, Apr 3, 7:06pm
I see he's started using the door now

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1517998391.jpg Can you ask him to stop shitting in my garden please https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1517998466.jpg

gph1961, Apr 3, 8:52pm
might be easier to teach the cat to open the door

marte, Apr 4, 2:53am
Maybe use a small angle grinder to cut the hole out.

budgel, Aug 5, 4:00pm
Agreed! An angle grinder with a cheap diamond disc is ideal for this job.
I the past I have drilled multiple holes, torn the piece out like a postage stamp, then cleaned up with a rasp.