How to put a hole in a fridge door?

oooooowwwwww, Nov 17, 12:08am
I am using an old fridge as a nesting box for my broody chook and then doz eggs she is sitting on. Because we are in aus she needs to be completely secured as to not get eaten by predators such as foxes and eagles. The easiest way I can think of to do this is to put the door on, with air holes and a large hole covered in chicken wire or similar to let light in.
I have taken the door off the fridge already, and removed the shelves and insulation from it, but don't know how to put a hole in it. I have had a tentative go with the sledge hammer, but I don't want to destroy it, so don't want to go too hard with that unless I know it won't completely ruin the door. Oh and we have very little in the way of cutting implements, and nothing strong enough to get through the door I don't think.
So, advice or ideas would be appreciated please :)

trade4us2, Nov 17, 12:18am
The metal on the door will be very thin. Mark where you want the hole, on both sides of the door. Get an old wood chisel and sharpen it, and tap the chisel along with a hammer, holding the chisel at an angle away from the corner where you started. I don't know how to explain any better, but I cut sheet metal all the time like this.

oooooowwwwww, Nov 17, 12:27am
Ok, that makes sense, I will go hunting and see if we have any old chisels lying around. Thank you :)

daryl14, Nov 18, 4:29am
Go to bunnings and buy a cheap jigsaw with a blade for steel. Drill approx ten mm holes at the corners of where you want your holes, then jigsaw from hole to hole.

Will be much nicer finish than a chisel will get you and less likely to cut yourself. Or get a cheapo angle grinder or a renovator tool.

You can clean up any rough edges with sandpaper or files. It's time to start shopping!

If you are tight as a ducks arse you might have some success by hanging part of the door over the edge of a sharp edged steel bench or concrete step and punching along the edge with a hammer.

nukhelenc, Nov 18, 11:04am
Put a stuffed skillsaw blade on the skillsaw backwards.

tigra, Nov 18, 7:39pm
Time you bought one of those "as-seen-on -tv" renovator things.Do all those jobs simply, and cleanly.!

kcc55a, Nov 19, 3:30am
LOL a sledge hammer wont make holes- just great big dents.

beart0y, Nov 20, 1:27am
Use a Multi Tool. Great on thin metals.

supernova2, Nov 14, 10:11am
Local panelbeater could probably sort it for a bit of cash.