Storing an unused fridge / freezer ?

rovercitroen, Jan 20, 4:56pm
Any fridge service people know if it is feasible to keep a summer drinks fridge / freezer in good running condition by running it occasionally over the months it is not in use! If so how often would it need to be run and for how long! Does it need to get cold or just run for a short time to circulate the gas and run the motor! Reason I ask is that we had a chest freezer that ran fine for decades and once left switched off in the garage for a few months it would no longer cool. I suspect it lost its gas.

gardie, Jan 20, 5:42pm
We had the same thing happen with a small chest freezer and it wasn't very old.We were told that when turned off, condensation builds up between the walls and causes it to fail.No repair possible.We have another deep freezer that would be about 40 years old and it goes like a rocket, never been turned off except to defrost for a few hours.So, not sure that it is the gas - it is supposed to be well sealed in.

t_naki, Jan 20, 5:48pm
I don't think the gas would escape as it will be at a lower pressure when the compressor is not running. More than likely the valves will start to stick because they do not have the refrigerant and oil passing through them. It should be enough to just run it for an hour every now and then but there is no way of knowing the serviceability of the parts.

reggienz, Jan 31, 10:48am
Just reminded me. I have an old freezer in the garage been off for over a year. I just went out and switched it on. Running like a charm.