My old/spare Fridge/freezer is on full but

jills3, Dec 24, 5:33am
its not cold or freezing.Its a Fisher & Paykel, FC335TGWHWH, Serial number L168409.I also notice the large bulb at the bottom of it is really hot.Is this f/freezer past its used by date! thank you.

cantabman1, Dec 24, 6:41am
The model you describe has a top freezer, and is approx 11cubic feet capacity or 335 ltrs' [usually 8 of fridge and 3.5 of freezer]and because it has been turned off for some time, you have lost the gas which makes it cold.
Its only value now is scrap metal at the recyclers i'm sorry to say.

cantabman1, Dec 24, 6:44am
Oh, just realised that you cannot fill up a freezer all at once and expect it all to freeze up, so if its cold inside just add a bit at a time untill its full with the rest in your other fridge to cool down.

jills3, Dec 24, 7:00am
Thank you cantabman1,I only turned it on, and put in a cheesecake in the fridge part, but alas it stayed warm for many hours.Today I gave it agood vacumn, but I cannot trust it.Thank you for reply, now where is that chap who wanted a smoker.

cantabman1, Dec 25, 7:03pm
yeah, no good for a smoker, as the plastic ABS liner would produce toxic fumes and kill the poor chap.

lythande1, Dec 25, 11:50pm
You can remove the plastic.

elect70, Dec 26, 4:33am
When turned off for long periods is when they seem toget gas leak, maybebecause the piping is steel & corroded .Fridgie can regass foraround $100but nogaruntee it will last .donescoresof themsome go for3-4 yearsOk .

planespotterhvn, Dec 26, 11:22am
Have you only turned it on after months of disuse! Or if not, it may need a proper defrost by removing the back panel inside the freezer to reveal the tubes and fins. Just allow it to defrost.Don't use tools the tubes and fins are soft aluminium, and will damage easily.
Or a faster way is to have a wet vacuum cleaner and pour warm from a used beer stubby over the fins and tubes sucking the excess water away with the vacuum like a dentist does.

planespotterhvn, Dec 26, 9:53pm
Give the regassing a go. Its a very simple operation commercially but fridge manufacturers don't want you to do it as they wxnt to sell more fridges.
And at all the eco dumps tgere is no gas recapture facility. Remember tge CFC outrage 20 years ago when henny penny thought the sky was falling and we were running out of ozone.well thats gone very quiet.

40wav, Dec 27, 12:46am
I do this job now and then on our old beer fridge / spare freezer. You must turn the fridge off at the wall before you start. There will be a little earth wire on the panel in the freezer bit that you remove (you'll see it when you remove the panel, and remember to put it back too. It has a push on clip). I use a hair dryer to defrost the ice round the fins etc. Be patient. Have an old towel or two handy. Good luck.

elect70, Dec 30, 1:46pm
Iwas involved in aextractionservice for local council& they chargedpeople$20 to dump their old fridge . Butdone away with it now & sayyou must get the gasremoved before dumping . typical. Even oldCFC fridges can be regassedonnew refrigeranteasily & cheaply .