Large hole in guttering - help

blink182_tkom, Sep 23, 6:35pm
Does anyone have recommendations on how to repair a large hole in copper guttering?

r.g.nixon, Sep 23, 6:51pm
Trim and glue the lid of a 2 litre icecream container over it?

docsportello, Sep 23, 6:55pm
Solder some copper sheet back in? Did it corrode? Or did the one of the neighbours shoot holes in it again?

golfdiver, Sep 23, 10:37pm
Get new gutter

tim41, Sep 24, 7:07am
classy,you're not a tradesman then?

grrrahaaam, Sep 24, 12:08pm
tim41 wrote:

classy,you're not a tradesman then?[/qu

Well if it works, well and good. If it doesn't probably no big deal, try something else. Would be worried about the longevity of that type of plastic. Possibly a good coat of something like undersealer would contribute to effectiveness. Depending on access could you pop rivet a plate over the hole, possibly with something acting as a gasket between the guttering and plate?

blink182_tkom, Sep 24, 3:44pm
Pipes were blocked and needed to get blasted but instead of doing that they cut holes in the gutter. Have decided to go down the path and do it properly. Going to get some copper sheets and buy a soldering iron.

docsportello, Sep 24, 3:59pm
I don't know what to say about that. Were they aware of what guttering does? Or how gravity works? Or the very rudimentary holdy-uppy effect air has on water?

supernova2, Sep 24, 6:53pm
You will need a BIG soldering iron to do that job.

woody89, Sep 25, 8:01am
"They"? Would they be liable for repairs or replacement?

blink182_tkom, Sep 25, 8:50am
naaaa its how I bought the house - was an old rental with a lazy landlord.

blink182_tkom, Sep 25, 8:51am
Found one online had to go overseas otherwise it was $300ish!

docsportello, Sep 25, 9:19am
With a bit of juggling/practice you can use a gas torch type thing. Heat copper sheet edge/surface to be joined, remove flame, touch on solder and let it spread, let cool, weight area with something heavy and metal as you go.

morrisjvan, Sep 29, 5:05pm
Simple fix, ring the clowns who destroyed it and get them to fix it properly .

jan2242, Sep 29, 5:35pm
My Dad would have bent aluminium over it, or inside it if you get do that - used it for everything.

grrrahaaam, Sep 29, 7:18pm
I am guessing soldering or brazing would be awkward. What about getting a piece of copper guttering (old, or offcut or even just some sheet) Cut out 2 pieces a few inches bigger in diameter than the hole. Drill a hole in the centre, slap some silicon or pvc cement on each piece, place on either side of the hole and clamp it up with a gutter bolt. Might need to adapt some aspects but thats the rough idea.

mrgts4, Sep 30, 8:32am
Aluminium would corrode in no time. The patch will have to be another piece of copper or plastic

golfdiver, Sep 30, 9:42am
“Rough” being the operative word

happychappy50, Sep 30, 10:49am
A butane torch & stick of solder,clean everything meths works well cut out the piece of copper you want to solder in slightly oversize . all done

grrrahaaam, Sep 30, 1:03pm
If it stops the leak well and good.

grrrahaaam, Sep 30, 1:21pm
I am guessing access to the inside of the gutter is typically restricted? Can you solder from under the gutter?

happychappy50, Sep 30, 8:42pm
Yes you can,just need to heat both surfaces & the solder will run around

grrrahaaam, Oct 1, 8:32am
Thank you, have never worked on metal/copper gutters, been PVC for quite a while.

gsimpson, Mar 15, 9:03pm
Use copper patch and "silfos" brazing stick. Doesn't need flux if copper clean. Get a MAP gas torch if you are buying one as they have more grunt.