Fence post/hole size

Page 1 / 2
noogie5, Dec 8, 7:11pm
Hi there,

We are looking at building a new fence but unsure what size the post holes should be we are using 125x75 post 100x50 rail's and 150x25 pallings it's going to be 1.8m high. The localplace has got 250mm 350mm and 300mm I think but unsure if they still got the 300mm.

Any help will really be appreciated

Thanks Scott

mouse265, Dec 8, 8:07pm
can you still buy post holes as i havent seen them around for years

gpg58, Dec 8, 8:15pm
I always dig them so at least 1/3 is below ground level, so for yours i would make holes at least 600mm deep, and possibly deeper for loose sand, or other unstable ground types.

google result - https://tinyurl.com/y359hjob

jacinda2059, Dec 8, 8:32pm
I usually do as above, but put in a concrete mowing strip as well, leave a gap between your pailings,, and a gap at the bottom as well,seen pailing fences with no gaps, snapped of at the ground in our windy area. i would use 3 rails as well,top one 50-60mm from top to stop pailings twisting.

perfectimages, Dec 8, 8:42pm
Old measurements used to be 6 foot fence = 9 foot posts usually.
Metric equivalent would be 1.8 metres fence = 3 metre posts usually

NB: I think you may have meant cm NOT mm. But I could be wrong

gunhand, Dec 8, 9:03pm
OP could be talkin about diameter of the hole and size of auger bits available.
Most people ask about depth not hole size. Could be wrong though.

gabbysnana, Dec 8, 9:48pm
Google bunnings how to

smallwoods, Dec 8, 9:49pm
This!

1.8 mtr fence = 2.4 mtr post in tight soil, 2.7 in sand with concrete foot.

125x75mm post, 250mm auger.
Myself, I wouldn't use 75mm thick post, go 100mm at 1.8mtr high fence.

martin11, Dec 9, 7:05am
Do all of the fences I build with a 150mm or 200mm auger ,you just have to be very accurate with you marking out of the holes . less dirt removed is more solid around the post .

smallwoods, Dec 9, 8:32am
Would depend on the operators experience with an auger and a rammer.

If asking on here, not a lot of confidence, I'd say.

shanreagh, Dec 9, 8:44am
They're on the shelf next to the buckets of steam.

perfectimages, Dec 9, 9:24am
Well, we all had to start somewhere and unfortunately DIY skills do not seem to be passed down in families as much as they used to be.

captaingraham, Dec 9, 9:49am
I thought the unicorns were kept there.

brouser3, Dec 9, 9:57am
They are usually underground - and are occupied quite quickly, so unless you are actually onsite during the construction phase, it is actually quite rare to see one.

smallwoods, Dec 9, 12:36pm
Just follow a council truck. They drop them on the roads all the time.
Dig one up and next time you go back there will be a bigger one there.

smallwoods, Dec 9, 12:37pm
Correct, so no use making the whole hole to tight, as the newbie won't be able to manage it.

smallwoods, Dec 9, 12:38pm
NO, unicorns are in the animal department with rocking horse shit and chickens teeth.

elect70, Dec 9, 2:18pm
third of the length in the ground & use 100X100 post or 150x150 posts if using spade start the hole about 400 mm wide 2 of premix &add water brace posts so cant move for couple days

jacinda2059, Dec 9, 6:11pm
As above advice, and you cant go wrong.remember, years ago mate and i used 2man borer, bored holes all round qtr acre section ,, stoney ground. friday , town job. mate met owner to get paid, bloody kids had refilled most holes with rocks. took owner all morning to empty holes.again.

bryalea, Dec 9, 7:53pm
Not sure about that. I have the book "A hole is to dig". So I don't think you can just buy one.

clangie, Dec 10, 6:34am
nz standards are for every 300mm out of ground=100mm in ground, so 1800mm out=600mm in ground. so 2.4m posts, ive never ever ever ever seen a fence post 3 feet (900mm) in the ground so i smell bs haha

pauldw, Dec 10, 7:11am
All the excess may not be in ground. I see a lot of fences where posts are cut to height afterwards.

smallwoods, Dec 10, 8:09am
Try fencing in loose sand or pumice country, you'll soon go a little deeper.
Even lay deadman oh each side to stop the wind blowing the fence over.

mrfxit, Dec 10, 11:45am
LOL, Try fencing in wet, white or orange clay.

smallwoods, Dec 10, 6:28pm
Glad to say, I haven't.