Griselinia cutting

blogzy, Jan 13, 9:25pm
I am a cuttings novice so not sure what's up with my attempt at propagating griselinia.
I planted them in sharp fine sand about 7 weeks ago. Cut on angle, applied rooting hormone, watered regularly, semi shade outside. Around 20% have not survived, the remainder are looking ok but when I pull them they have not yet developed any root. How long should a root take to form ?

omamari, Jan 14, 7:10am
I think that if you have 80% looking healthy you are going well. I have grown all sorts of natives from cuttings, but have very little success with griselinia. It's a waiting game

apple27, Jan 14, 10:23am
Griselinia is tricky - I'd be thrilled with an 80% take rate.

lythande1, Jan 14, 11:28am
They take a long time you know. I would plant in actual soil. I have in fact, done several cuttings soft and hard.

blogzy, Jan 14, 1:26pm
Thanks for the feedback. What I'm surprised with is that after 7 weeks they still have not formed any root. How long can the root take to form ? Also should I wait until It develops root before I transplant into potting mix or do it now ?

strathview, Jan 14, 3:48pm
Griselinia grows better from seed.

gabbysnana, Jan 14, 4:37pm
A hedge of it is very invasive, its roof system goes everywhere and starves out everything, looking for a successful way to kill a 60 metre hedge cheaply.

rita197, Apr 5, 10:39am
Griselinia is a good plant. It is basically a small tree. it is a hardwood plant and difficult propagate. Best to propagate softwood plants.

dibble35, Apr 6, 4:54am
x1
See I found the opposite when I worked in a GOL nursery, Griselinias were easy to do compared to some. Did you cut the angle at a node? Any bottom heat? this makes roots form faster. If I remember correctly we used to do our 1000's of cuttings late winter after the newest growth was firm enough. I wouldnt call them hardwood cuttings at all.

pukekohe2, Apr 6, 7:50am
We propagate several thousand of these yearly.
Semi hardwood cuttings are the best using a rooting hormone. We use a warm tunnel house with regular misting.
Propagation mix is best although sand can be used if necessary. They take about 8 to 10 weeks to root normally, do not repot until roots have actually formed.

jsimons12, Apr 18, 6:24pm
Just my opinion so sorry if it's not quite what you're after, but Griselinia is a nuisance a lot of the time, may I suggest Australian Rosemary/Westiringia,Tuffi Ficus, or Crokia instead :) (These are hardy anywhere).

Griselinia gets rot very easily - a fungal disease & the roots are really thick about 30cm so you can't underplant anything around it at all. & if it does grow but isn't maintained it dies easily after the slightest trim.
Some areas in Auckland/NZ are more prone to the fungal issue than others.

Just my two cents good luck & sorry if you are fond of it or it suits your property :) don't mean to offend, have lived on properties with it & am not fond of it. It gets too thick as well if it does grow & sawing it if not kept properly is a big pain.

triedntrue, Apr 28, 9:21pm
x1
Any remedies for the rot?

dinx, May 9, 6:25pm
I'm curious, are they susceptible to lemon tree borer? Looking at replacement for dead pitto hedge that was killed off by the wee b*ggers. Not too concerned about underplantimg as only lawn beside and neighbors side only grass bank also.

But if its prone to rot that may not work anyhow, I have black thumbs lol. Live on a steep hillside prone to fog, windy and either dry or wet lol! But pittos previously gave some privacy and windbreak to the section, but long dead over last few years. We could go up to 4m ish but open to inexpensive suggestions. I have 6 surviving 50cm tall griselinia plants that have lived outside for about 18 months in pots I was going to plant out eventually. Clay soil but I'm hoping where the pittos were will be broken up a bit. I think I read somewhere I'd need to plant 30-50cms apart?

voyager4, Jul 25, 1:55am
I have two that the label said would be 2m max height, yeah nah, now at 4 m they are going to be removed.