What can I plant that is similar to Griselinia?

gscas, Nov 23, 11:43pm
I have a street frontage slat fence so I want to plant something in front of it, I like Griselinias' but it seems everyone in our new subdivision has them, any other ideas appreciated for this novice please?

carter19, Nov 23, 11:50pm
I think Red Robin looks good

gscas, Nov 24, 12:12am
I like Red Robin too but it grows to big for my liking.

gscas, Nov 24, 12:14am
Many years ago I had a plant smaller than a Griselinia with waxy shinny small orange/brown/green leaves which was nice, any ideas on what this is?

harm_less, Nov 24, 5:45am
Probably some type of coprosma.

needy, Nov 24, 5:58am
why plant a hedge of the same colour, So many pretty leaf corokias,and they can be trimmed inot shape

dibble35, Nov 24, 6:31am
you say photinias get to big. well griselinias can get to 5 - 10 metres if left untrimmed/natural. What about Olearia, syzigium bronze hedgemaster, some of the pittosporums such as Stephens Island. And yes corokia would be great for a low hedge

mustu, Nov 24, 6:43am
If you want a fast growing dense hedge teucrium is good. Has a pretty little purple flower and is hardy. Worth considering.

gscas, Nov 24, 6:59am
Yes that's it Thank you :-)

coop19, Nov 24, 7:02am
If you want a similar type and leaf sized hedge Photinia Red Robin is a good match. Many hedges around here are a mixture and they complement each other. Both will grow to roughly the same size and at a similar rate if left to do so. Both can be clipped to blend almost seamlessly. Coprosma has a more tatty, uneven and woody growth by comparison and I think is slower growing.

ladyluck110, Nov 24, 9:01am
Red robin looks good but grows so fast is its only drawback imo

tntc1500, Nov 24, 10:35am
google lilly pillys,. you get the redish colour of the red robin, n plant fullness of the grisilinea. :)

freesia, Nov 25, 8:33am
Coprosma middlemore is a good one .

groovie1, Nov 25, 9:39pm
Well if you want something different how about ground planting photinia red robin standards like these:

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/428073511.jpg

I'd always associated photinia with hedging until I saw them similar to the above but planted along a neighbours fence line.

gscas, Nov 30, 12:44am
Beautiful!

duffpot, Jul 16, 11:51am