What are the regulations with cutting pohutakawa

Page 1 / 2
mansonprincess, Mar 10, 6:18am
HI all
I just have a quick question and I have scrolled the internet to try and find an answer but am struggling.My neighbours have a pohutakawa tree that is coming over our property.I would like to cut some of it coming over as it continues to drop leaves onto my own garden.I have spoken to the neighbours and they are happy for me to go ahead as long as I go about it the right way.So here I am wanting to know if it is ok for me to cut, or do i need to call someone or is it protected! I only want to chop a few branches. thanks heaps

venna2, Mar 10, 6:26am
If the neighbours are happy, I'd be surprised if there's anything preventing you from chopping a few branches. I'd be very surprised if a pohutakawa was protected.Who's going to notice, anyway! If you're really worried you could call at your local CAB. But if it was me, I'd just go ahead.

jills3, Mar 10, 6:36am
Pohutakawa are protected,I wish they werent as I would hack them all down,we are on tank water and have leaves constantly in the spouting.But I think OP will be fine cutting off overhanging branches, who the hell is going to tell the dam council.

redhead96, Mar 10, 6:41am
It's not just the blasted leaves it's the red stuff from the flowers then the dried up flower things.

jills3, Mar 10, 6:56am
true, true.Also I heard that pohutakawa are notorious for searching out water and end up breaking up your concrete driveways etc.

max.headroom, Mar 10, 7:05am
Just cut what you have to,, and within 2-3 years it will be back with interest
Id rather have herpes than one of those,,They are a bloody curse

russ18, Mar 10, 7:06am
Different councils different rules, the only trees protected around here are the ones specifically listed on councils protected trees list.

redback2, Mar 10, 7:06am
i would love to cut a few for the saw dust! have seen them trimmed on the golf course and put one or two branches in the golf bag hahaha

mansonprincess, Mar 10, 7:14am
ok sounds good, thank you for your advice, i will cut a few branches and Im just going to go ahead, its not like we are getting rid of the whole tree but yes you are all right about the stupid leaves and crappy red stuff - as much as they look pretty, they are a pain, we are trying to grow a garden and the roots are tearing up our lawn and near to where our deck it built - not much we can do about it but if i can eliminate the leaves that would be a good start.yes they appear to be protected but im sure you can chop some of it but to find the answer to this is a nightmare so will just take matters into my own hands

twink19, Mar 10, 7:22am
must be ok to cut them down, developer up the road cut 8 down, me , not allowed to cut down a poxy Norolk Pine

mansonprincess, Mar 10, 7:29am
there is just so much mis information, its like your dammed if you do and your dammed if you dont, they usually wait for a tree to cause damage to property before anything happens

buddynz1, Mar 10, 7:30am
They are protected any over a Meter ,,but a few branches should not be a problem

mansonprincess, Mar 10, 7:40am
i hope so, too bad if its not hehe :) x

hanmer, Mar 10, 7:43am
i noticed that the ivy has completely killed a big tree a few houses away fm us - smothered it completely. morning glory grows a lot quicker. ;);)
OP, when you have "pruned" the branches rub some roundup or woodywood killers on the very new cut.hopefully it will stop it producing.there is a very special stuff but i don't remember the name.
me norfolk pine has disappeared when i pruned it at the base,last year.

mansonprincess, Mar 10, 7:57am
ok yes, make sense.I think i have some of that around here, as long as it doesnt kill the whole tree, that is not the plan otherwise it will fall

piquant, Mar 10, 8:11am
OP, when you have "pruned" the branches rub some roundup or woodywood killers on the very new cut.hopefully it will stop it producing.there is a very special stuff but i don't remember the name.

Just the sort of chain saw pruner (at the ankles) you don't want to take any heed of. Putting systemic weedkiller on any new cut will, of course, have a detrimental effect. Just plain don't do it.
me norfolk pine has disappeared when i pruned it at the base,last year.[/quote]

lalbagh, Mar 10, 5:19pm
Prune them properly- take each branch off at its narrowest circumference hard against where it forks off from the trunk/larger branch or whatever. This will minimise resprouting and looks tidier, and is better for the tree, which will eventually heal itself over the cut.
As to the roots, dig a trench along the boundary and sever them all,and pit in an impenetrable root barrier before refilling to prevent reinvasion- as long as you are not severing major roots or a large proportion of the root mass, it will not kill or destabilise the tree, which will simply re-establish new roots on the correct side of the boundary

lythande1, Mar 11, 2:44am
The law is you may trim what hangs over your side - and you must return it to them.
You can't cut what's on their side though.

mansonprincess, Mar 11, 6:19am
yip will only cut what is on my side and they are happy for me to use in fire place rather then return to them - all good

tigra, Mar 11, 8:00am
So not true. It depends on the council. Like russ18 says unless the tree is listed as protected you can usually prune it with impunity.I doubt there is a council in the country that would protect trees over 1 metre minimum.Some councils have a limit as to how much vegetation can be removed from a section but it covers all vegetation (incl Blackberry and broom and gorse) not just particular trees.

eagles9999, Mar 11, 8:09am
You are joking.Pohutukawas a metre high are protected ! Hardly.

kuaka, Mar 11, 8:41am
Well a few years ago, where I lived, you were supposed to get consent to cut anything which was over 3 metres high, and I do know of someone who trimmed a very old and very unsafe pohutukawa which was overhanging the roof and tainting the tank water, and was in danger of crashing down onto the footpath and maybe injuring or killing someone, and the owner was fine $7000 for cutting it without consent - and they only gave it a good prune, they didn't chop it right out.

kaddiew, Mar 11, 8:46am
Here in Kapiti I had to nag the council for 6 months to trim back the branches of several of THEIR (grass verge) giant pohutus hanging over the full length of my fence and creating a mess year round.They had to be inspected twice by "the suits", and planned out branch by branch to the absolute bare minimum before the tree guys actually started. Didn't really help the mess on my side that much.

secretmissy1, Mar 11, 10:38am
You need to update yourself on arborculture in residential areas NZ - truly incorrect information, as I have removed many of these trees working for council and independant arborculture companies.

fogs, Mar 11, 11:18am
Why couldn't you chop a norfolk pine down! We couldn't for years under North Shore Council but can now under the new rules