Cutting a tile?

christin, Jun 29, 8:44am
Hi. I have one tile I'd like to cut about 2cm off. It's quite a large tile, and I think it's prob slightly thicker than a normal thin one but not by much.

How can I get this done? I only have the one tile so don't want to just try it and break it in the wrong place! Because there is just one no worth hiring a saw etc either

Thaks

johotech, Jun 29, 8:52am
Take it to a tile shop, they will cut it on their saw for you.

christin, Jun 29, 8:53am
I was thinking that, but does it matter if it's not from their shop?

johotech, Jun 29, 8:56am
They'll still take your money.

christin, Jun 29, 9:00am
True lol.

How much money? Shouldn't be much and don't think it will break the bank. Just curious!

johotech, Jun 29, 9:02am
I have no idea. $10 or less?

chito, Jun 29, 9:06am
I cut mine with an angle grinder. Carefully cut through from the glazed side. I then angled the edge with a bench grinder.

christin, Jun 29, 9:11am
Thanks. See cutters on here for $20 etc so was wondering if that's the way to go but Prob only a one off so more stuff to sit in shed! Also not sure if tile too thick.

No angle grinder.

summersunnz, Jul 1, 1:52pm
I got several tiles cut with curves when I laid the tiles for my fireplace hearth - tiling shop charged me $1 per cut/tile. a great price, and the curved tiling looks great in front of the fireplace.

christin, Aug 4, 6:01am
Does anyone know which place will definitely cut them? Tried two tile places today and they don't do it :-(

40wav, Aug 4, 8:17am
Try another two tomorrow.

cagivachick1, Aug 4, 8:42am
call a local tiler he will have all the gear but you will have to take the tile to him the $20 tile cutters on TM wont cut diddly. Or you can hire a tile saw from hirequip or if you have access to a grinder you can use a masonry disk to cut the tile

christin, Nov 4, 6:09pm
I don't think there are many tile shops around here. Will see.

Thought since two said no, they may all say no so wondered if anyone had any they knew would before I traipse over auckland :-)

Not worth hiring anything for one tile.