Under tile heating. Pro's and Con's?

ddogz, Oct 25, 2:27am
As above, looking at installing it as the Bathroom is being rebuilt, anyone had
any issues or pitfalls! Any brands to stay away from as im looking into some of the DIY kits! Push your power bill up much! Cheers

kwaka5, Oct 25, 2:59am
Depends on how large your bathroom is to work out how much power you may use. Thermal insulation under the tiled area if any!will you run it on a thermostat arrangement or have it on a timed situation. My tiler here will not install tiles in a bathroom is a mat is not fitted. You'll probably regret it if you don't do it. Get a sparky and a good tiler on board and you'll be set to go. Have fun :)

ryanm2, Oct 25, 3:15am
cons - costs money
pros - warm feet and warm dirty laundry if you leave it on the floor like me.

Devi have good kits - think it costs about 300w per sq. metre. Timers are the best as you ideally only want it on early morning and early evening, unless you are rich, unlike me.

qingan, Oct 25, 3:20am
Do it, I went with warm up NZ It hardly made a ripple in the power bill, and takes the chill off what would be cold tiles. They have a really good timer too.

Plus it's good for resale to say you have it.

brish, Oct 25, 3:29am
I don't use mine, too costly to run.It doesn't have the heating under the actual shower area, just under the surrounds, although that heat spreads a bit.Maybe it's because I don't use a lot of power anyway that it's noticeable when I have the bathroom heating on.Mine was put down when the villa was built.

russ18, Oct 25, 7:49am
Only needs heating because tiles are cold, rather have warmer vinyl floor covering.

stevo2, Oct 25, 9:06am
I had "Warmup" systems under the tiles in 2 bathrooms and toilets in my new home.
There are different thermostats to choose from. I got the model with the timer and the thermostat built in (most economical to run).
It turns on at 5am and off at 7.00am. On again at 6.30pm and off at 9.30pm. A total of 5hrs per day. I set the thermostat to turn of at 22 degrees. I expect it would be drawing power for 3.5hrs out of that 5.
One of my units is 800 watts and the other is 550 watts. The wattage drawn is dictated by the size of your room.
The 800 watt unit running for 3.5hrs per day would use 2.8kw per day at a cost of around 30 cents per kw so about 84 cents per day.
The ensuite one at 550 watts would be about 57 cents per day.
Cheers Stevo

ryanm2, Oct 25, 6:11pm
Thats over $500 a year for warm feet!

stevo2, Oct 27, 6:54am
Only turned on over winter and its warm feet and warm and dry room.

rotormotor7, Oct 27, 7:31am
near all the people who installed tiles with no heating regret later they didn't.cold even through socks.no fun in the bathroom on a cold morning.

I have installed the devi and the warm up mats.I much prefer the warm up thermostat controller easy to program whereas devi have the simple on or off thermostat control onlyand have a timer type with an odd rubber button.

redandblack2, Oct 26, 11:16am
Warmup also have the insulation board which makes a massive difference. You put that, marmot, first then tile and it reduce the running costs heaps. Warmup controllers are the best to use.